Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

6 lurkers | 140 watchers
6 Aug
7:45pm, 6 Aug 2024
43,745 posts
  •  
Ness
Hope it all goes well for him, Dave W.
6 Aug
7:58pm, 6 Aug 2024
18,031 posts
  •  
Garfield
Good luck Dave W.

Sorry to hear your news Baz.x
6 Aug
8:23pm, 6 Aug 2024
19,489 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Baz that is terrible treatment, am so sorry 😔

Hope all goes well Dave
6 Aug
8:33pm, 6 Aug 2024
27,162 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We have agreed a strategy for tomorrow which at least means Mrs axe has done everything she can. I fear that nothing will change and MiL gets moved to end of life care and then we just see how long it is for

MiL knows nothing of what’s planned, and my suggestion is that Mrs axe leaves it to the hospital to explain to her. When it happens I know that we will be the ones to bear the brunt of her unhappiness, but it needs to be clear we have had no part in this decision

Ironically if the consultant spoke to us and listened, we might just understand and support what they are doing.
6 Aug
9:11pm, 6 Aug 2024
21,214 posts
  •  
Dave W
Thanks to all for your best wishes.

Rough times Baz. All you can do is look after each other.
6 Aug
9:32pm, 6 Aug 2024
3,113 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
Sounds awful Baz. How can they make such a decision without her knowledge? It's setting you up to be the bad guys if she thinks you went behind her back with this decision.
jda
6 Aug
9:41pm, 6 Aug 2024
17,590 posts
  •  
jda
That sounds very poor Bazo. I hope you can get some better answers. It's hard to believe that they can really act like that.
6 Aug
9:49pm, 6 Aug 2024
27,167 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Appears there is nothing we can do. It will be awful if she is moved and doesn’t go home and turns out to be there for six months or more.

Also the other hospital called to enquire why she didn’t show for her cystoscopy. Mrs axe told them she was in another hospital and they prevented it.

Mrs axe has a call with her mums gp tomorrow just to seek his guidance as he knows the background.
jda
6 Aug
9:54pm, 6 Aug 2024
17,591 posts
  •  
jda
I think you need to get in touch with PALS if you haven't already. Not that they'll necessarily be any use but I think they are the first port of call.
6 Aug
10:04pm, 6 Aug 2024
27,169 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
PALS appears to be England only. Think I have found a Scottish equivalent.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.