Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 140 watchers
5 Aug
7:49pm, 5 Aug 2024
54,356 posts
  •  
McGoohan
A bit of both I think Ally-C
5 Aug
7:52pm, 5 Aug 2024
6,065 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Nearly 50 years of someone with schizophrenia is a hard shift I’ll tell you.
5 Aug
8:20pm, 5 Aug 2024
54,357 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I'm sure it is.

It was the first day of the in-laws having morning visits from carers today - someone will arrive at 10:30 to help get FiL up, out of bed, toileted, dressed and breakfasted. MiL has been bitterly opposed/keen/grudgingly accepting/opposed again for the past week.

The news is - no news. We are not prodding the bear and assuming that the silence from both MiL and the care company means today went without a hitch.
5 Aug
8:29pm, 5 Aug 2024
27,154 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
That sounds promising mcgoohan

We are not long back from the hospital and the plot thickens. Mrs axe tried to cancel the transport and cystoscopy which was planned for tomorrow before the fall led to hospitalisation and the current situation. No answer so message left. It’s due to be in a different hospital

Attempt to speak to the consultant failed, you need to be sat by the bed when he does his rounds apparently.

On arrival we saw a senior nurse and had a chat. She understood where we were coming from and agreed. She then said the transport people were picking mil up tomorrow for cystoscopy and we were like WTF.

The nurse was fab, took all our details and said she would pass the message and put file notes on and see if the consultant would call. Also will make sure they know it’s a joint PoA and Mrs axe has not been consulted or agreed to anything.

Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.
5 Aug
8:31pm, 5 Aug 2024
54,359 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Infuriating for you and your wife Baz. Hope you get some answers tomorrow.
5 Aug
8:36pm, 5 Aug 2024
27,155 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
If the cystoscopy goes ahead we then know what we are facing into and so I hope that does go ahead.

It’s not clear if the consultant knows. We were told last week they wouldn’t do one. However they cystoscopy people know she is in another hospital and seem to plan to collect her from there.
5 Aug
8:58pm, 5 Aug 2024
69,164 posts
  •  
LindsD
So confusing. Is there a PALS service or similar?

Hope it's good news McG

Sorry Ally. That's tough.
5 Aug
10:43pm, 5 Aug 2024
18,027 posts
  •  
Garfield
Good luck Baz. Sorry to hear that Ally - that would be very hard. Fingers crossed for you McG.
6 Aug
7:24pm, 6 Aug 2024
27,159 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
More saga, no answers and lots of upset. Not got time to note it all down but essentially the consultant has decided and that’s that. End of life care for however long it is. He has guessed at less than six weeks. He won’t speak to us to explain.
6 Aug
7:42pm, 6 Aug 2024
21,213 posts
  •  
Dave W
Taking my dad to the clinic tomorrow for one of his cataracts doing. Been a bit complicated by his multiple myeloma keeping his platelets low but all is good for the morning. His eyes have been deteriorating for a while now and hopefully this will start to sort it out.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.