Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

4 lurkers | 140 watchers
9 Aug
6:24pm, 9 Aug 2024
12,989 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
icemaiden wrote:I still lurk here, as I have In-Laws, but no real responsibility for them as OH does more than his bit. However, I did wonder when we get to start the thread for 'Old people with interfering relatives' for our own situations.

My kids have told me I'm going to be insufferable and they aren't having any of my nonsense.
3M
9 Aug
7:32pm, 9 Aug 2024
24,554 posts
  •  
3M
Mu commiserations, @Big_G. Hope you fine some peace over this in the coming weeks and months.
9 Aug
7:32pm, 9 Aug 2024
8,577 posts
  •  
Corrah
So sorry for your loss Big G.
9 Aug
8:56pm, 9 Aug 2024
69,249 posts
  •  
LindsD
Good point @icemaiden
10 Aug
7:34pm, 10 Aug 2024
27,190 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I cannot be certain, but I glanced up when visiting MiL to see someone who looked very like BiL turn on his heels and disappear. Given where the ward is, there is no need for anyone other than a nurse or visitor to be there.

It was a fleeting glimpse, so I don’t know for sure, but says it all if he did go away rather than come face to face with us.

Mil still seems ok and and in good spirits, but did say she doesn’t have the strength any more
11 Aug
10:51pm, 11 Aug 2024
77,010 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Home after a busy 11 days at dad’s. Couple of things still to be done but not by us. Hopefully the sale will all be settled in the next couple of weeks.
12 Aug
6:36am, 12 Aug 2024
7,323 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Hope it all goes smoothly LG.
12 Aug
6:57am, 12 Aug 2024
19,530 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Be good to get it all done Lip Gloss
12 Aug
7:37am, 12 Aug 2024
69,287 posts
  •  
LindsD
Well done LG
12 Aug
9:04pm, 12 Aug 2024
27,210 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Mil has today been moved from the hospital to ‘comfort care’. It’s all happened suddenly but maybe best that way.

Hospital informed BiL the move either was happening or had happened. No idea what they told MiL. BiL was going to see his mum pretty much immediately and will likely be in again tomorrow before we go

Quite how MiL will be about this or will she twig, we don’t know. I have said to Mrs axe that she has done what she can, the authorities have decided and if MiL questions us, we can rightfully say we are not involved.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.