Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
16 Jul
9:04am, 16 Jul 2024
43,032 posts
  •  
Ness
That is awful!
16 Jul
9:29am, 16 Jul 2024
17,990 posts
  •  
Garfield
That's horrible. I hope they got rid of that new member of staff and that your sister gets an apology.
16 Jul
1:29pm, 16 Jul 2024
7,270 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
There's no excuse for that Corrah.

Crumbs Baz - must have given you a moment. I hope they look properly before calling you next time!
16 Jul
2:25pm, 16 Jul 2024
27,084 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
It was Mrs axe who had the panic. I was running to work and it was resolved by the time I found out about it.
16 Jul
3:24pm, 16 Jul 2024
17,992 posts
  •  
Garfield
Phew that's good to hear Baz, hope Mrs Axe is all right after the initial panic.
16 Jul
5:59pm, 16 Jul 2024
8,555 posts
  •  
Corrah
Thanks all. Sister called this morning. She has had an apology and staff member was in her probationary period, so she won’t be back.

Crickey Baz, that must have given Mrs Axe quite the scare.
16 Jul
6:28pm, 16 Jul 2024
68,906 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's good Corrah
16 Jul
6:30pm, 16 Jul 2024
27,085 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Apparently it was a new carer on her first visit and so she doesnt know the house or mil.
21 Jul
11:31am, 21 Jul 2024
27,102 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Almost every holiday there is something happens.

This was to be the big holiday for Mrs axes 60th. Arrived at dalaman and waiting for cases. Phone goes and it’s the carers

There has been a fall and a minor head wound. Ambulance called. Can we go round and wait for it. Obviously not

BiL uncontactable either by us which is predictable or carers which is shocking. He ignored two voicemails from them. The carer from the office had to go and sit for four hours until the ambulance arrived. No idea how they got her down stairs.

BiL replied this morning to say ‘I was out last night’.

Mrs axe has been on to a&e already and she is ok but all sorts of tests being done. It’s not great but she is maybe in the safest place and they might never send her home when they see how she is. Some of the other issues might get dealt with when in like the blood transfusion they want and maybe even the cystoscopy.

Our son has offered to do what he can before he comes out to join us next weekend

Mrs axe finding it hard to relax which was the whole point of this fortnight.
21 Jul
11:49am, 21 Jul 2024
23,371 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Crikey I’m sorry there is so much for you all to cope with.

Glad that person was let go Corrah there is absolutely no excuse for this behaviour if you’re working with elderly surely they know there will be challenges. Hope they don’t get near another elderly care home again or if they do they rethink their attitude.

Linds I know there is other complications, not least age, for you mum but I’ve had ovaries removed (following a previous hysterectomy) but if they can do keyhole surgery it’s not invasive although you can feel so well that it takes some realisation that it has been major surgery. Hope it all works out for post op care and OH is well by then.

What a fright for Mrs Axe, glad it was a false alarm.

Sending strength to all of you.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.