Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
13 Jul
6:22am, 13 Jul 2024
7,265 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
One thing after another sometimes Linds. Hope your OH is recovering well? Do you know how long your Mum will need to be in hospital etc?
13 Jul
7:03am, 13 Jul 2024
68,864 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yeah. I haven't spoken to Mum since OH has been incapacitated. He is planning to do a work trip in Sept so I'm assuming he will be fairly independent by then although neither of us know for sure. If necessary I will have to bring Mum back here to recuperate.

No idea of the scope of the op. She is having her ovaries removed. She was pushing for a full hysterectomy but the consultant said she might not be able to cope w the length of op, which I found a bit surprising.
13 Jul
9:02am, 13 Jul 2024
7,266 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Hope it isn't just wishful thinking on OH's part Linds. More details from your mum would help!
13 Jul
4:21pm, 13 Jul 2024
68,868 posts
  •  
LindsD
I need to call her but she often doesn't remember details.
13 Jul
6:13pm, 13 Jul 2024
54,247 posts
  •  
McGoohan
My MiL had a full hysterectomy this year and it was done - to my surprise - as a keyhole-type procedure. She was in and out in a day.
13 Jul
8:24pm, 13 Jul 2024
68,874 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thanks. I have just spoken to her and seen the letter and it's pelvic repair as well as a hysterectomy so more complicated than I thought. She has a consultation on 28th Aug but neither my sister nor I can go with her, which is not ideal.
14 Jul
6:34am, 14 Jul 2024
7,267 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Would/has she given consent for information to be shared with you Linds? If so a call to the consultants secretary a few days after the 28th should give you more details of proposed time in hospital etc.
14 Jul
6:54am, 14 Jul 2024
68,878 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's brilliant. Thank you. She would. And we have POA
15 Jul
4:35pm, 15 Jul 2024
474 posts
  •  
shyfire
Working through worst case scenarios here. In event all adult children/direct descendants pre-decease an elderly parent is there a way that the adult child's estates can be put in trust/protected to provide for parent care living costs whilst parent is still alive with any remaining monies passing to another beneficiary nominated by deceased adult child? In short how do I ensure there is enough money for mum if she needs care without it ending up with some random second cousin I've never met.
3M
15 Jul
4:44pm, 15 Jul 2024
24,408 posts
  •  
3M
I don't think there's anything that required money to be passed "down" the generations. Surely it's just enough to specify that in the event of pre-deceasing all others in a specific group, then the money goes to the parent, with a rider that it may need to be held/invested in trust until such time as a given event (care home needed) occurs?
Although it is probably worth a solicitor/legal expert doing the exact wording to prevent any confusion, once you've defined the exact requirement.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.