Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

4 lurkers | 140 watchers
6 Jul
8:42pm, 6 Jul 2024
76,546 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh my apologies Baz, I thought way back he had refused. Something has to done sharpish then as that’s dangerous.
6 Jul
9:42pm, 6 Jul 2024
19,304 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
That's terrible leaving without a lift that long - hope something gets sorted with MIL soon
6 Jul
9:46pm, 6 Jul 2024
27,023 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
He has refused to help at various points, but he did attend the meetings about the lift. `however getting agreement between 11 flats took ages. BiL was in the lets try and fix it camp, it took along time before a majority was able to agree its not fixable and we need to pay for a new one.

Then we had to get two quotes and decide and once decided we have a 12-16 week lead time
6 Jul
9:50pm, 6 Jul 2024
27,024 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I think they will admit MiL next week for a blood transfusion and there will be a cystoscopy as well at some stage. `however we need some people who know what they are doing to get her down two flights of stairs. And back up again.

I can’t do it alone, and even with the help of Mrs axe we couldn’t. I could get my son involved but even then we re putting all of us at risk trying to get an old lady who can’t walk down those stairs.
6 Jul
10:01pm, 6 Jul 2024
12,859 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
Can the hospital transport not help, Baz? MiL needs to be carried down a flight of stairs in her house and then 3 down 3 external flights of stairs and so long as we explain and ask for a 2-person transport team they’ve always been able to find someone.
6 Jul
10:04pm, 6 Jul 2024
27,026 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We have asked that but the doctor didn’t know but is investigating.
7 Jul
6:40am, 7 Jul 2024
7,250 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to hear this Baz. I'd maintain the line that you can't safely get her out of the flat and to hospital for the tests rather than try to find a work around.
7 Jul
10:41pm, 7 Jul 2024
68,815 posts
  •  
LindsD
Me too. That sounds really tough.

Sorry for your loss Garfield.

Good luck w the house jda
8 Jul
8:51am, 8 Jul 2024
50,409 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm astonished that NHS patient transport can't help with people who have difficult house access, when an important medical appointment needs to be met?

Is there any way to get some kind of subsidy or emergency support for fixing the lift Bazo, via the council? (Compelling the building operator or something?) They have been very good at looking at adaptations to help my mum with the small number of stairs into her house, as she becomes less mobile. Best wishes, :-) G
8 Jul
10:51am, 8 Jul 2024
32,493 posts
  •  
Rosehip
can someone supply an evacuation chair lift thingy?
We had to have one at school for one of the upstairs classrooms when we had a student with a broken leg and I'm fairly sure we had one on loan from a charity until school decided that we had to buy one for future events

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.