Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
28 Jun
7:41pm, 28 Jun 2024
19,246 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Sending love and hugs to those who need it today xx
2 Jul
10:35am, 2 Jul 2024
5,896 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Found payments to YouTube and Google on my mum’s bank account. Here we go again 🤬
2 Jul
10:37am, 2 Jul 2024
68,769 posts
  •  
LindsD
Oh no :(
2 Jul
10:38am, 2 Jul 2024
42,553 posts
  •  
Ness
:(
2 Jul
10:39am, 2 Jul 2024
5,897 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Just cancelled the card. Nae point in even asking her questions, just babbles nonsense. Was less than £50 all in.
2 Jul
1:12pm, 2 Jul 2024
7,232 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It must be very wearing Ally.
2 Jul
1:55pm, 2 Jul 2024
17,953 posts
  •  
Garfield
Hubby is trying to work out how to pay MIL's credit card by her online banking. The information he needs isn't on the front of the credit card statement that MIL's friend scanned and sent us. We need the other side of the page for the info.

On the plus side, he's managed to get everything else arranged for auto-payments as and when needed so that's one less thing for her friend who helped out with that.
2 Jul
4:49pm, 2 Jul 2024
68,777 posts
  •  
LindsD
It must be very difficult at a distance, Garfield.
2 Jul
4:54pm, 2 Jul 2024
22,980 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Oh Ally that is worrying, I hope you can try to get the money back, although with google and you tube probably not possible.

The reverse parenting is difficult isnt it. Talking to a friend last night and I really feel for her, she is an only child but brought up by her dad when they separated, very little contact with her save for keeping in touch as she will always do the right thing and mum now has quite advanced dementia with a partner she now sees has been controlling and coercive and isn't looking after her properly (cleaning/feeding - the basics) and has been spending her money not his!

Sending hugs to MrsAxe and you all Bazo.

My mam is doing ok with her foot, the work the physio did and not having stairs to contend with while on a caravan holiday and getting to the pool every day seems to be paying off.
2 Jul
5:17pm, 2 Jul 2024
7,233 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Everything is harder at a distance Garfield. It's good that your MiL has friends that help out though I know how much they can do is limited.

Good news gg.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.