Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

4 lurkers | 140 watchers
28 Jun
8:34am, 28 Jun 2024
42,434 posts
  •  
Ness
At least one thing is sorted, PaulaMc. Who knows what the next thing will be.

My mum is 83 today. She was getting on OK having recovered reasonably well from the stroke she had a couple of years but then on Sunday she had a fall in the garden and broke her hip. She's had it pinned and is recovering in hospital now. She lives on her own and refused to have carers in after her stroke. I think it'll have to be very different if she is to go back to living there this time.
28 Jun
8:45am, 28 Jun 2024
68,699 posts
  •  
LindsD
I hope it's comforting TR. We met for Dad's for a couple of years. We were going to do my Gran's 100th but it was the pandemic.
28 Jun
8:47am, 28 Jun 2024
68,700 posts
  •  
LindsD
Glad there's a resolution Paula.

Good luck Ness. I should think so. My husband has just had something similar and needs me there a lot of the time.
28 Jun
8:55am, 28 Jun 2024
7,223 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Hope it's a happy occasion TR.

Glad it's sorted for now Paula.

How has your mum been cognitively since being in hospital Ness?
28 Jun
9:00am, 28 Jun 2024
42,437 posts
  •  
Ness
She's about the same, LMH. I was thinking the trauma might make memory issues worse but it hasn't so far. She keeps saying she'll only be in hospital for a few days and then she'll be going home. With gentle reminders she accepts it could be a while and she might need carers this time.
28 Jun
9:07am, 28 Jun 2024
22,871 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Hope you and your sister can share lots of happy memories today TR

Wishing your mum a happy birthday Ness and hope she continues to make a good recovery.

Spoke to my mam last night who when she went to stand up couldn’t weight bear on her left foot. No explanation she’s not gone over on it no swelling or bruising. Hopefully have an answer shortly her appointment it at 9.30
28 Jun
11:49am, 28 Jun 2024
42,438 posts
  •  
Ness
Thanks, GG. Hope geordiemam has got answers at her appointment.
28 Jun
11:50am, 28 Jun 2024
7,224 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That's positive Ness. I hope she can enjoy her birthday.
28 Jun
11:52am, 28 Jun 2024
42,440 posts
  •  
Ness
Thanks x
28 Jun
1:38pm, 28 Jun 2024
22,874 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Geordiemum has a stress fracture I know she’ll not do as she’s told. I’ve got her going to see my physio I’d rather she gets some proper advice as she won’t listen to me. I told her to ice it at 10.15 when she rang she rang me about 15min ago 1.15ish and no she’s not iced it! They go on a cruise in 6 weeks, she needs to get it sorted.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.