Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
18 Jun
6:53am, 18 Jun 2024
12,815 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
There’s nothing to hand in, LMH, they are just ornaments really, not even replicas. The best thing we could do would be to smash them up in front of her and put the bits in bin bags and give each bag to a different member of the family to dispose of. That *might* placate her a bit. Maybe.
18 Jun
6:56am, 18 Jun 2024
68,519 posts
  •  
LindsD
Grrr
18 Jun
7:59am, 18 Jun 2024
11,252 posts
  •  
Fields
Little Miss Happy wrote:Good news jda. Oh dear Paula. Could they be persuaded to hand them in at a police station?

If anyone should hand a gun in at a police station, it’s very important you contact them first about bringing it in, rather than just turn up with it!
18 Jun
8:37am, 18 Jun 2024
68,523 posts
  •  
LindsD
Can't you just destroy them and tell her you handed them in?
18 Jun
9:10am, 18 Jun 2024
42,134 posts
  •  
Ness
Before my stepdad passed away, he had a holiday home in Wales that him and mum used to visit occasionally. After he died mum insisted that he'd said he'd kept his 'service revolver' from before he moved over here from NYC. We went with her and stayed for a weekend to help with clearing out before it was sold but found no sign of it fortunately.
jda
18 Jun
10:07am, 18 Jun 2024
17,309 posts
  •  
jda
My mum mentioned finding a handgun after my dad died. Sounded like a WW2 souvenir possibly handed down from his dad. I haven’t brought it up again so don’t know what she did with it.
18 Jun
11:51am, 18 Jun 2024
7,208 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Paula - I just thought that telling her they were being handed in at a police station might stop her stressing.
18 Jun
4:13pm, 18 Jun 2024
12,817 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
Yes actually I think you are right - maybe it would help. I’ll suggest it to C.

Takes her mind off the critters in the carpet though 🙄
18 Jun
4:49pm, 18 Jun 2024
17,914 posts
  •  
Garfield
That reminds me of when my dad went to hand his rifle (.22) into the police station as my stepmother didn't want a gun in the house...back around 2010 or thereabouts. He went into the station with the rifle instead of going in and letting them collect it from the back of the car! Ooops!
18 Jun
5:16pm, 18 Jun 2024
7,212 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
LOL Garfield.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.