Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
15 Jun
3:49pm, 15 Jun 2024
26,886 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Yeah that’s kind of where we are.

We are also becoming better aware of things around BiL and how he is. No chance of a reconciliation unless he decides unless Mrs axe goes into some kind of grovelling apologetic position.
15 Jun
4:05pm, 15 Jun 2024
7,201 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Still hurtful though. Sorry to hear that BiL is still making things even more difficult Baz.
16 Jun
8:27am, 16 Jun 2024
50,219 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Gosh, I'm really lucky my mum is still mentally OK in her 88th year. We had a nice morning browsing for rollators (like a zimmer but with wheels) and a coffee and scone/cake after. We also planned to try out electric mobility scooter at local country park but there was a traffic jam (on access road for cars, not jam of mobility scooters!) so gave up for another day.

She can say annoying and hurtful things, but she's always done that! If anything she's mellowing. Or I am getting more tolerant.

Sorry to hear your mil's exaggeration or confusion Bazo. Quite distressing.
16 Jun
9:36am, 16 Jun 2024
22,671 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
That is quite an explanation to come up with. UTI was my thought my nana would come up with all kinds of weird stories we soon learnt to get her checked and 9/10 it would be that. Sorry you’re having to deal with this on top of normal care and bil (who sounds like he’d be more useful if he didn’t come near) hugs you you and Mrs Axe
16 Jun
9:49am, 16 Jun 2024
26,889 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Thanks for the good wishes

We have a wee week in the sun and do a switch off for a bit.
16 Jun
9:54am, 16 Jun 2024
12,715 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
My mum started filling on the gaps in the strangest way in her last year. The incident where she accused Mr LF of stealing and disposing of a cuddly woollen dog my cousin had made was a "high point".
16 Jun
6:25pm, 16 Jun 2024
54,174 posts
  •  
McGoohan
This kind of stuff is completely my MiL. She's always been a bit of a fantasist. Most recently she went on a long rambling story about some horrible teacher at Liebling's school and how she'd got her sacked and the headmaster said she'd never work in teaching again.

Liebling told me it was all complete bollix - MiL was a) confusing Liebling with her sister, b) confusing teachers from junior and senior school and c) no-one got sacked. She hjust fills in gaps in her memory with completely random stuff.
jda
16 Jun
7:20pm, 16 Jun 2024
17,301 posts
  •  
jda
I think we all have a tendency to make up stuff to fill in gaps, it’s how our brains work. But as people get older, they get worse. More gaps, more absurd fill-ins.
16 Jun
8:08pm, 16 Jun 2024
12,718 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Indeed.
16 Jun
9:36pm, 16 Jun 2024
3,861 posts
  •  
cackleberry
My mum with dementia is mildly delusional.

Very much gets her timeline in a jumble and makes stuff up to fill in the gaps.
If she tells you a new story/event it is difficult to work out if it happened this week or 30 years ago, if its real or a dream or a mixture of all those things.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.