Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
6 Jun
9:42am, 6 Jun 2024
22,565 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
so very sorry to hear this jda, a huge shock but as you say not a lengthy slow decline. Thinking of you all.

My great aunt who lives in Australia died at the weekend, on Thursday she refused to eat or drink and medication she passed away peacefully on Sunday. Uncle said she was in pain and sedated and she knew she didnt want to suffer. Hard for those left but better than seeing someone in a lot of pain.
6 Jun
9:56am, 6 Jun 2024
7,501 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Condolences jda and gg. I can fully appreciate the relief at it not being a slow decline.
6 Jun
10:01am, 6 Jun 2024
86,367 posts
  •  
Diogenes
That's a shock, JDA.

There was a recent get together of ageing relatives to celebrate my uncle Phil's 80th. We were away so couldn't join them, so it was quite a shock to see the photographs as many of them are in serious decline since I last saw them. I suspect I will be going to a lot of funerals over the next 10 years.
jda
6 Jun
11:50am, 6 Jun 2024
17,220 posts
  •  
jda
Thanks all. Yes it was certainly a bit of a surprise, he'd been on pretty good form last time we saw him though that was 2 weeks ago (Thu was our regular visit but we missed last week). Everyone else seems a bit shocked and it's in the hands of the coroner, so hopefully that won't add too much complication.
6 Jun
12:29pm, 6 Jun 2024
26,822 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I am sorry to hear that jda. Although it sounded like there was a clear decline in health, it hadnt seemed at that stage yet. I hope you and Mrs jda are OK.

Mrs Axe and I were discussing MiL at the weekend and her health decline. It all started when we were on holiday in 2010. We returned to find she had herself admitted to hospital and wouldnt leave. Each year she has got a little worse, but 14 years on and although pretty much bed bound now, seems strong as an Ox. There have been at least two occasions when we thought she didnt have long left, but despite ailing health has fought of covid and pneumonia

We went in on Saturday and she wasnt in great shape which was about the third visit in a row like that. Following day our son was with us to deliver a save the date card and she was in good form and looking forwrad to the big day hats still 13 months away. She did say she would need a new outfit as none of the clothes in her wardrobe are hers !
CK2
6 Jun
1:09pm, 6 Jun 2024
2,732 posts
  •  
CK2
Condolences from me too jda although, as you say, it’s good to avoid a slow decline.
Condolences too gg.
As someone experiencing the slow decline of you MIL Baz that continues to sound very difficult.
6 Jun
1:38pm, 6 Jun 2024
2,225 posts
  •  
poppyH
I'm sorry jda.
6 Jun
1:54pm, 6 Jun 2024
75,988 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh so sorry Jda, sounds all too sudden but at least he is at peace. I always felt dad went rather quickly as we were never told by the home of a decline or told to visit.
3M
6 Jun
1:56pm, 6 Jun 2024
24,184 posts
  •  
3M
Sorry to hear that jda. 😞

And also gg.

Hope the next few days and wee go smoothly.
3M
6 Jun
1:57pm, 6 Jun 2024
24,185 posts
  •  
3M
*weeks go smoothly. πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.