Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
jda
31 May
5:33pm, 31 May 2024
17,185 posts
  •  
jda
Wow that's really good news all round. Hope she continues to have a healthy old age!
31 May
7:35pm, 31 May 2024
26,805 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
That is good news gg

Mrs axe had a mail from the man who looks after MiLs investments. Mil had phoned the office yesterday and asked to sell some of her investments. Whoever took the call sense her confusion and of course she couldn’t pass security tests. MIL claimed Mrs axe was with her but to no avail. It was good their processes were in order, but we have no idea how she managed to make the call or even know she wanted to sell stuff

The more worrying thing is that BiL who receive the same mai, will probably believe mrs axe was there and trying to sell stuff.
31 May
8:34pm, 31 May 2024
68,207 posts
  •  
LindsD
:(
31 May
8:53pm, 31 May 2024
11,174 posts
  •  
Fields
Little Miss Happy wrote:Good news. Were you still able to have the POA chat gg?

I’m very grateful my dad’s partner was able to convince him POA was a good plan. When I suggested it he dismissed it saying I just wanted him dead. Of course his adult son can’t possibly be right about something! Anyway they’re all set up with me as attorney and my flaky semi-estranged brother as reserve.

It’s a bit like insurance isn’t it, by the time you need to use it, it’s too late to set it up.
31 May
9:42pm, 31 May 2024
22,483 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Little Miss Happy not so far but it’s on my radar when we get them alone I might drop it into a chat next run with mam and plant the seed.

My brother and I bought the house off them 6 years ago to give them their equity to spend so they are on board to a degree. I think if they know my in laws have sorted it it may be more amenable and they all get on so well it may trigger them to talk - let’s see.

That’s scary but also reassuring bazoaxe good they have checks in place but worrying if bil would just agree.

It’s a minefield and we didn’t get to practice on kids!
CK2
31 May
10:19pm, 31 May 2024
2,726 posts
  •  
CK2
You have an inspirational mum gg with all that training! I’m glad it was good news.

Good to see the systems working Bazoaxe but concerning about BIL.

We have my mum staying for a few days which is lovely and frustrating in equal measures.
1 Jun
6:45am, 1 Jun 2024
7,183 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I do hope that doesn't stir things up with your BiL Baz.

Having the conversation whilst running sounds like a good plan gg.

I hope her stay is more of the former CK2 but pop in if you need a moan!
jda
1 Jun
11:34am, 1 Jun 2024
17,189 posts
  •  
jda
FiL was quite the professional complainer it seems. Wading through his files of correspondence raises a few smiles.

“Dear Mrs Hargreaves,

Further to our recent communication may we, once again, express our sincere regrets that you have been dissatisfied with the new pack dimensions of our cereal cartons.”
1 Jun
11:53am, 1 Jun 2024
68,218 posts
  •  
LindsD
Brilliant
1 Jun
12:00pm, 1 Jun 2024
86,288 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Was he always known as Mrs Hargreaves? :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.