Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
jda
21 May
8:04pm, 21 May 2024
17,099 posts
  •  
jda
Well while they consider her safe, there's nothing much you can do to over-rule that. But the time will come when they change their minds.
21 May
8:08pm, 21 May 2024
75,729 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
jda wrote:The way to do it is to get her into hospital and then don't let them release her on the basis that she's not safe at home. At least that's our experiences (once each in Scotland and England). PoA isn't really useful for this, even if the BiL cooperates. Rather, it's the medical side that makes the judgment. But you can be a bit canny with the way you talk to them.

That’s what we did after dad’s last fall in his own home. (England) . Give the paramedics their due, without saying as much they told my sister it would be the only way to get him into care.
22 May
6:44am, 22 May 2024
19,013 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
It was the same with mum - she never went home after a hospital stay, went straight to the care home
22 May
7:48am, 22 May 2024
8,506 posts
  •  
Corrah
Same with dad. He was stuck in hospital until a care home place was .

From being a sub 3 hour marathon runner it’s sad to see him with virtually no mobility now. He needs the stand aid to be taken to and from the toilet.
22 May
8:27am, 22 May 2024
7,165 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'm married to jda too!

McG - it probably makes her feel as if she still has some element of control. I hope that she does accept the help.
22 May
10:03am, 22 May 2024
32,473 posts
  •  
macca 53
*wonders if Mrs macca could be hiding in here as LindsD or Little Miss Happy.* 😁
22 May
10:12am, 22 May 2024
68,050 posts
  •  
LindsD
:) ninja
jda
22 May
11:06am, 22 May 2024
17,105 posts
  •  
jda
On the internet no one knows you’re a cat :-)
29 May
11:02am, 29 May 2024
22,447 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I fetchies, not been here for a while as mostly our parents are all doing well.

However, my mam is obsessed with having dementia/Alzheimer's mainly as she has a terrible memory - I think its that she is never in the moment and always flapping around. But she has booked herself a test at the GPs on Friday.

I am not sure how I am feeling about it, would I rather know now or wait and see? My nana had dementia and was way worse than my mam is at the same age (she will be 80 in Sept) and I am then thinking if it is just a bad memory I am doomed!!! I can't remember anything now.

Has anyone got any experience of these tests, and the doctor has said to her there is new medication now that can help slow down progression of the disease if she does indeed receive confirmation she has dementia.

Thanks.
jda
29 May
11:17am, 29 May 2024
17,165 posts
  •  
jda
If it’s treatable (even just to delay) then I’d want a diagnosis. If not, then it still opens a few doors in terms of support. Though I quite understand some people would rather not know.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.