Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
7 May
2:25pm, 7 May 2024
7,146 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Be kind to yourself LG.
7 May
4:53pm, 7 May 2024
18,908 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Sending hugs LG xxx
7 May
4:58pm, 7 May 2024
12,755 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
Hope it wasn’t too awful, LG.

We’ve made an online Sainsbury’s food order for my dad this evening. I have no idea if he will hear them buzzing or if they’ll find his flat. He’s in sheltered accommodation but rarely leaves his flat.
7 May
5:27pm, 7 May 2024
67,831 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hope it works out
CK2
8 May
9:23am, 8 May 2024
2,703 posts
  •  
CK2
I hope it went as well as it could LG.
Hoping all works with that and it provides a helpful way forward Paula.
jda
8 May
9:27am, 8 May 2024
17,022 posts
  •  
jda
We did a handful of online deliveries for FiL when he first stopped driving, it worked pretty well. Tho once we’d managed to arrange to get him taken to the shops weekly he preferred that, it was a day out and back to his normal routine.
8 May
9:52am, 8 May 2024
5,758 posts
  •  
icemaiden
My MiL prefers to be taken out to Tesco / Lidl / bank / other shops rather than having a home delivery. She gets the same things in Tesco every time, drives me nuts and I don't have to go.
8 May
7:13pm, 8 May 2024
12,757 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
I’m guessing it was all ok. C didn’t get any messages and when I logged in to book another slot for Saturday there was nothing to suggest that last night’s didn’t happen. Dad has a phone but it’s never charged and the wardens at the complex aren’t answering the phone so we’re totally in the dark unless we visit in person.
8 May
10:00pm, 8 May 2024
49,980 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
On 1,000 mile 2 day drive from Scotland to Germany with my 87 yr old mother to see 90 yr old aunt. What fun! Wish me luck! :-) G
8 May
10:16pm, 8 May 2024
67,848 posts
  •  
LindsD
Good luck x

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.