Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
4 May
9:56pm, 4 May 2024
1,519 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
Mum had rung to make the appointment because of the weight loss.
4 May
9:57pm, 4 May 2024
67,774 posts
  •  
LindsD
Ah OK
4 May
10:01pm, 4 May 2024
1,520 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
I'm not sure what constitutes rapid weight loss and how urgent they should be investigated. Mum was 9 stone 7 so I think that is about 5%?
4 May
10:03pm, 4 May 2024
67,776 posts
  •  
LindsD
Sounds a lot to me. But the GP probably knows what they are doing.
4 May
10:12pm, 4 May 2024
1,521 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
Thanks. If it carries on before she gets to see the GP, I'll get her to ring again.
CK2
5 May
6:57am, 5 May 2024
2,701 posts
  •  
CK2
That’s a long wait for such a significant concern. Personally I’d push for an earlier telephone consultation and actual meeting.
5 May
9:52am, 5 May 2024
7,143 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
6lbs in 10 days is a lot but I doubt it would constitute a medical emergency unless she were already significantly underweight. GP is likely to instigate tests. Whilst waiting for the appointment can you encourage her to use supplements and see if she starts to regain/stops losing?
6 May
8:27am, 6 May 2024
1,522 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
Thanks for that, LMH. Hadn't thought of supplements. Will see how things have been over the past 2 days and if Mum is still losing will suggest that as an option.
7 May
12:41pm, 7 May 2024
75,513 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Today we put dad into his final resting place. Was awkward . Would say that is our family chain broken :-(
7 May
1:54pm, 7 May 2024
67,824 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hugs LG. That's tough.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.