Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
29 May
11:32am, 29 May 2024
22,448 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I have to agree that her wanting to know esp if there is something to help delay would be preferable, and it will put her mind at ease if it isn't. I think for me its starting to have to accept the reality of aging parents, with full acceptance I've had a very easy run so far.
29 May
11:57am, 29 May 2024
68,168 posts
  •  
LindsD
I agree jda. My Mum would never go, and then when she did go, the GP falsified the test results to say she was better than she was :(
29 May
11:57am, 29 May 2024
68,169 posts
  •  
LindsD
Wait and see, gg. It might be normal ageing.
29 May
12:38pm, 29 May 2024
7,173 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Earlier the diagnosis the more likely that the medication can slow things down gg.
29 May
1:06pm, 29 May 2024
22,451 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
thanks all, I am glad she is open to the prospect and wanting to know, it might give me the opening to talk to them about power of attorney - our inlaw's have already sorted theirs.
29 May
2:40pm, 29 May 2024
7,174 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That's a very good idea gg.
31 May
2:51pm, 31 May 2024
22,480 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Following from my earlier post mam had her appointment today and she’s not got Alzheimer’s or any early signs she scored 28/30 and he said she’s got nothing to worry about but they’ll retest in 6m to be sure.

She is having a heart rate monitor for 24hrs as she has a low heart rate but that she’s almost 80 still runs circa 50m per month swims 2-3 times a week and walks miles I think it’s that she’s fitter than the average 80yr old. Fingers crossed but grateful they’re considering options.

Thanks again for your thoughts earlier in the week ❤️
31 May
3:58pm, 31 May 2024
68,200 posts
  •  
LindsD
Great news gg. I hope you are both reassured.
31 May
4:34pm, 31 May 2024
22,482 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Definitely and it is better to know. I hope she can start to write things down rather than thinking she has to remember everything in her head.
31 May
4:42pm, 31 May 2024
7,182 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Good news. Were you still able to have the POA chat gg?

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.