Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
jda
1 Jun
12:10pm, 1 Jun 2024
17,190 posts
  •  
jda
There's little room for doubt over the true authorship of that complaint.

Though I did also find a copy of a letter written in 1992 by his daughter complaining of the failure of her running shoes, contrasting their weak performance with those of her 6'6" 13 1/2 stone friend who bought a similar pair from another manufacturer at around the same time :-)
jda
5 Jun
3:22pm, 5 Jun 2024
17,217 posts
  •  
jda
FiL's house on the market last night and already half a dozen viewings booked! This is *not* what I was expecting :-)
5 Jun
5:27pm, 5 Jun 2024
7,189 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Great news jda.
5 Jun
5:48pm, 5 Jun 2024
75,978 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Ooh fingers crossed Jda. My dad’s was the same and sold within a week.
5 Jun
6:43pm, 5 Jun 2024
68,315 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's great.
5 Jun
8:43pm, 5 Jun 2024
3,090 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
Maybe they're planning to tear the house down and replace it, plots with the option to build your dream house are rare.
jda
6 Jun
7:36am, 6 Jun 2024
17,219 posts
  •  
jda
And all of a sudden FiL died overnight. A bit of a surprise as he was basically in good health for the most part, always seemed a bit out of place in the care home when we visited. But it’s a relief that he avoided a lengthy decline.

I suspect a whole new avalanche of Dadmin is about to swamp my wife (with me helping where possible). She had just about got her head round his finances, which is a good thing of course with probate to apply for.
6 Jun
7:41am, 6 Jun 2024
68,332 posts
  •  
LindsD
Gosh. Sounds like a shock. Condolences to both of you.
6 Jun
9:25am, 6 Jun 2024
19,106 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
What a shock for you all. Totally understand the relief sentence.

Condolences to you both x
6 Jun
9:29am, 6 Jun 2024
41,749 posts
  •  
Ness
That must have been such a shock! My condolences x

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.