Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 140 watchers
14 Jun
8:43am, 14 Jun 2024
19,154 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
It took us a while to get Jens but the funeral was still booked in advance it that helps seeing as they are taking about 4 weeks
jda
14 Jun
4:18pm, 14 Jun 2024
17,283 posts
  •  
jda
Yeah we’ve just got a date booked for funeral at start of July and also council office on Monday to finally register death. Seems that “you must register a death within 5 days” is just something they say to stress people out.
15 Jun
12:27pm, 15 Jun 2024
26,882 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
A rather odd occurrence today. One of MiLs friends has been calling regularly and Mrs Axe hasnt responded assuming they would be calling for something more to be done

Anyway, she did call and the enquiry was about Mrs Axe’s health. MiL had reported Mrs Axe was seriously ill, had stopped driving and I had started to take lessons (yep I haven’t ever got round to learning to drive yet). Mrs Axe assured the friend she is in fine health, still driving and I am not learning

This didnt strike me as the kind of thing to expect from a dementia suffered, although we know and I have reported here that she has always had an overactive mind and reaching rather bizarre conclusions.
15 Jun
12:53pm, 15 Jun 2024
76,188 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Does seem a strange thing to be saying.
15 Jun
12:55pm, 15 Jun 2024
68,490 posts
  •  
LindsD
You really don't need to be dealing with that sort of thing
15 Jun
1:10pm, 15 Jun 2024
7,199 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Most strange.
jda
15 Jun
1:27pm, 15 Jun 2024
17,291 posts
  •  
jda
Weird. UTI? I think some people get delusions from dementia but not come across it myself.

But maybe it’s just “she’s not visited for ages, must not be able to drive, add up 2+2 and get 57”.
CK2
15 Jun
1:40pm, 15 Jun 2024
2,738 posts
  •  
CK2
My other thought was attention seeking as my friend’s mother will exaggerate the afflictions of family to get attention for herself.
15 Jun
3:20pm, 15 Jun 2024
26,883 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Jda. There was also a note in the carers book to say she had said her family had abandoned her. Carers did say she noted the family work full time.

I do suspect some attention seeking at play.

I do get that she is lonely but only so many hours each day
15 Jun
3:26pm, 15 Jun 2024
86,483 posts
  •  
Diogenes
My mum did that from time to time: she’d tell family and neighbours that I’d washed my hands of her, was not going to have anything to do with her, and she’d never see her grandchildren again. Another time she told people that we’d said she wasn’t welcome at Christmas. That was after she told me she didn’t want to come to us and wanted to stay in her own house.

You just have to ignore it and trust that others know you better.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.