Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

4 lurkers | 140 watchers
2 Jul
5:37pm, 2 Jul 2024
42,563 posts
  •  
Ness
Glad things are looking up for your mum, GG.
2 Jul
6:17pm, 2 Jul 2024
17,956 posts
  •  
Garfield
Thanks all, it is challenging from such a distance and it's good MIL has a good support network of friends who help her out. Fortunately hubby managed to get himself organised to get online banking sorted out. We've come to the point where we're going over for an extended time to declutter the house. Hubby can work in the mornings (which will be UK afternoons) and later in the day, he can go through the stuff I unearth and have already started clearing out.

About 10 years ago, he made a good start on the basement, so we just have to get rid of the other bits that accumulated since that time...fortunately not too much.
jda
5 Jul
3:19pm, 5 Jul 2024
17,401 posts
  •  
jda
Funeral all done and dusted, also visit to lawyer with BiL while he was over here. All went well but there's a lot of time and energy involved. Probate will be quite a process and meanwhile the house is starting to fall apart quite literally. Shrug.
5 Jul
3:41pm, 5 Jul 2024
17,963 posts
  •  
Garfield
Having concentrated so much on my MIL, my stepsister messaged me on Wednesday about my stepmother. Yesterday my stepmother died and I'll be flying out to Canada to her memorial service in a week or so.
CK2
5 Jul
3:52pm, 5 Jul 2024
2,751 posts
  •  
CK2
What a shock for you Garfield. I’m sorry to hear your news.
5 Jul
3:57pm, 5 Jul 2024
23,027 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Glad the funeral went well jda. Hope the probate comes through without issue and the house stays upright.
5 Jul
3:57pm, 5 Jul 2024
42,639 posts
  •  
Ness
Sorry for your loss, Garfield.
5 Jul
4:10pm, 5 Jul 2024
17,964 posts
  •  
Garfield
Thanks CK2 and Ness. She had a massive stroke on Wednesday and passed early yesterday morning. Fortunately I saw her when we were over in May...oddly I said see you next year when we visit and she thought it was rather optimistic. Turns out she was right. She's been in a bad way since her stroke and had declined quite a bit from when I visited her last year. At least she won't be suffering any more and is in a better place.
5 Jul
4:51pm, 5 Jul 2024
76,520 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh sorry for your loss Garfield 😢.

Glad the funeral went well Jda.
5 Jul
5:45pm, 5 Jul 2024
4,527 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Sorry to hear your sad news, Garfield, condolences.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.