Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
jda
8 Jul
10:58am, 8 Jul 2024
17,425 posts
  •  
jda
I don't think it's that they can't help, it's that the default is they expect family to step in. And/or they aren't fully aware of the issues, having had the family cope up to that point.
8 Jul
12:39pm, 8 Jul 2024
27,029 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
jda has nailed it

All residents have now paid for the lift repair, just waiting for the work to be done. There was a site visit a few weeks ago but the promised date for the repair hasnt materialised. The factors are aware of our issue but offered no temporary solutions and dont seem bothered.

I did bump into a ground floor resident and they didnt seem interested and I sensed a frustration they had to even pay for repairs to something they will never use.

Mrs Axe is phoning the usual GP today to discuss as he know the situation. It was a GP we had never spoken to who called on Friday
jda
8 Jul
1:14pm, 8 Jul 2024
17,429 posts
  •  
jda
We had similar in relation to FiL, with it just being assumed that my wife would basically run his life and organise transport etc. Which she did a fair bit of, but wasn't always prepared (or able) to drop everything on his behalf.

Of course it all passes, in time. However living immobilised in accommodation with no lift indefinitely seems highly unsatisfactory.
8 Jul
6:04pm, 8 Jul 2024
17,967 posts
  •  
Garfield
Sorry to hear things are not going well Bazoaxe.

Hubby is having an interesting conversation with MIL's previous cable provider. He's just received an email from them saying he now owes them $2.65 - a billing date of 6 July! We closed the account after the end of May and MIL was sent a $70.50 refund cheque.

Hubby's trying to make the call centre people understand them...as they are elsewhere and having trouble wrapping their brains around the problem!
8 Jul
7:26pm, 8 Jul 2024
27,030 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Such a situation in Edinburgh cannot be uncommon. Mil used to live in a fourth floor Victorian tenement. Edinburgh is full of them. She reluctantly left there as many of her friends couldn’t climb the stairs. She doesn’t really like where she moved to. Little did she or we know how much we would come to rely on the lift

Had she not moved, I have no idea how we would have coped all th3sebyears.
8 Jul
8:15pm, 8 Jul 2024
17,969 posts
  •  
Garfield
I hope the lift gets fixed soon so they can all get out.
11 Jul
12:14pm, 11 Jul 2024
1,424 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
On the other side now and trying to clear the in-laws' house as per their wishes. They had lived here for 55+ years, so a lot of stuff and memories to sift through. Mr SD finding it very difficult as his only sibling lives hundreds of miles away and isn't able to help much. I'm surprised how hard I'm finding it too, even though I can't relate to a lot of the things like Mr SD can 🙁
11 Jul
12:35pm, 11 Jul 2024
7,257 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
(((stilldreaming))) I'm guessing they were a part of your life for quite a long time too.
CK2
11 Jul
4:46pm, 11 Jul 2024
2,754 posts
  •  
CK2
That sounds an emotional time stilldreaming. I anticipate this being very tough when I get there (hopefully not for a long time yet.)
11 Jul
4:57pm, 11 Jul 2024
76,614 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
That is the job of my sister and I at the end of the month. I think we will in a different position as this house had nothing to do with us and we were not particularly close to dad

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.