Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
jda
15 Jul
4:48pm, 15 Jul 2024
17,480 posts
  •  
jda
I’m sure it’s possible but I doubt many people have tried to do it :-)
jda
15 Jul
4:49pm, 15 Jul 2024
17,481 posts
  •  
jda
If you trust your mother you could speak to her about how her will is written in the case all children predecease her. Then just leave her the money in your will.
15 Jul
5:31pm, 15 Jul 2024
7,268 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Definitely not an expert but could it be left in a Trust specifically to be used for the purpose of paying for care? I think you should be able to get some free advice on this. Might be worth trying a local solicitor who does wills - I think most will give fifteen minutes of free advice? Or Age Concern may be able to advise? Sorry you're needing to even think about it shyfire.
15 Jul
5:54pm, 15 Jul 2024
475 posts
  •  
shyfire
Thanks I imagined it would be some kind of trust. Speaking to someone tomorrow since seems can get free basic will through work but just wanted an idea in advance since this may be more complicated. Many reasons why not just to leave her as direct beneficiary so that's not an option.
16 Jul
7:36am, 16 Jul 2024
8,554 posts
  •  
Corrah
My sister called me last night raging. She goes to the care home every day pretty much to see dad. A new member of staff was on and when sister arrived dad was in the toilet. He needs the stand aid now and is pretty deaf even with his hearing aids. Staff member didn’t know who my sister was and came out of the toilet and told another member of staff that my dad was being a c word and wouldn’t stand loud enough that my sister heard. He often doesn’t understand what you are telling him. Well another staff also overheard and the unit supervisor came through then went to the care home manager. The upshot was that and the member of staff was told to go home. Thing is I don’t think she even knows what she did wrong. Seriously what is wrong with people? Care home manager calling my sister today and I’m hoping it comes with a sincere apology and that thaw staff member has been let go.
16 Jul
7:41am, 16 Jul 2024
54,260 posts
  •  
McGoohan
:-( That's terrible Corrah, I hope they have been sent packing
16 Jul
7:50am, 16 Jul 2024
68,899 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's terrible
16 Jul
8:03am, 16 Jul 2024
19,353 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
That's terrible Corah
16 Jul
8:19am, 16 Jul 2024
27,080 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
That is nasty.

We had a panic this morning. Carers called to report Mil is missing and not in her flat. For someone who can’t walk this was concerning.

They did find her in the second bathroom and she seemed ok. Not quite sure what happened and mil won’t remember
16 Jul
8:30am, 16 Jul 2024
76,693 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh Corrah that’s awful. Someone in my dad’s care home had to be let go as had been verbally abusing residents - seemingly dad had been one of them.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.