Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

6 lurkers | 140 watchers
11 Jul
6:32pm, 11 Jul 2024
17,978 posts
  •  
Garfield
And hubby and I will be doing likewise with MIL's house for 4 weeks over Sept/Oct. I'm going to be doing a lot of stair climbing - tons of junk in the basement.

A friend of MIL's took a guy who buys model airplanes and other things to the basement and he may want to take the lot. Hubby's just waiting to find out how much he will offer. That will save us a lot of hassle potentially, otherwise we would have donated them to the friend to raise money for the Long Term folks in that town. She's heavily involved with that. I'll be giving her lots of excess crockery to sell, once I go through the kitchen. Possibly a lot of books too...as the library has a moratorium on book donations as they have too many!!
11 Jul
6:42pm, 11 Jul 2024
7,562 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
We're in the middle of it with mum and dad's, although it's sister and Mrs TR who are doing most of the work. We're in a decent position as mum had made a conscious effort to get rid of crap over the last couple of years of so.

I need to get my finger out and retrieve the original of mum's will from the solicitor so I can apply for probate ready to sell the property
11 Jul
8:45pm, 11 Jul 2024
1,425 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
I think we're on best friends terms with local branch of Salvation Army due to the amount of stuff we've given them! I guess we could have sold some things on Ebay or car boot sales, but at the end of the day we want to move on with our lives. We live 150 miles from in-laws' house, which makes things more difficult. When house is sold (still going through probate), the Salvation Army* can come and take furniture etc.and anything they don't want can go to recycling! Said to hubby that we will need to downsize at some point, as I wouldn't want our kids going through this when our time comes 🙁 (*in-laws chosen charity).
11 Jul
8:48pm, 11 Jul 2024
7,564 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
The Salvation Army have taken most of mum and dad's furniture. We were just out of their area but sister is a retired Salvation Army officer so pulled rank 🤣🤣
jda
12 Jul
3:20pm, 12 Jul 2024
17,472 posts
  •  
jda
We've got some acceptable offers on FiL's house and also made useful progress towards getting his stamp collection valued, both of which are necessary steps towards winding up his estate. I also just paid the insurance premium for house which his existing insurer had declined to continue covering. A very productive day!
12 Jul
3:21pm, 12 Jul 2024
7,263 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sounds like good progress jad. Are the insurers happy with it being empty? I know a lot can be funny about it.
jda
12 Jul
3:29pm, 12 Jul 2024
17,473 posts
  •  
jda
This was part of the issue LHM, but also my wife was perhaps a bit too honest about the condition of the property. It was our lawyer who suggested a local broker they'd used in similar situations, and they came up trumps. Fingers crossed that the offers don't fall through due to probate delays - but if that's a problem, we can just have another go when the paperwork is in place. It's a relief that several people were interested enough to put in offers really.
12 Jul
3:32pm, 12 Jul 2024
7,264 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I hope that probate doesn't delay things.
12 Jul
3:43pm, 12 Jul 2024
68,858 posts
  •  
LindsD
That all sounds positive.

My Mum has a date for her ovarian cyst removal in Sept. Hopefully OH will be self-sufficient by then.
12 Jul
4:33pm, 12 Jul 2024
17,982 posts
  •  
Garfield
jda, you're lucky re insurance. That's why we have to get into the house and get it ready to sell - the insurance skyrockets on an empty (vacant) property in Canada. $4k for a year and they'll only do that for a limited period of time - 24 months.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.