Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
28 Feb
2:42pm, 28 Feb 2024
66,872 posts
  •  
LindsD
*shopping, obvs
28 Feb
3:04pm, 28 Feb 2024
12,386 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Gosh it's so hard isn't it. I remember being there with mum. Somehow she always listened to Mr LF more than me.
28 Feb
3:08pm, 28 Feb 2024
53,780 posts
  •  
McGoohan
True. MiL will listen to men more than women which I suppose is a generational thing
3M
28 Feb
3:18pm, 28 Feb 2024
23,478 posts
  •  
3M
My FiL is a long way from that - but he backs down more readily when I challenge him than when either of his daughters do!
28 Feb
3:23pm, 28 Feb 2024
19,652 posts
  •  
Sweetie
I can so relate the buying of multiple things that just aren't needed. My parent's cupboards are rammed full of food, they have multiple fridges and freezers in the garage without any space in them.
When my mum was in hospital before Christmas I took the opportunity have a clear out, some things were over a decade out of date. They also get given boxes of chocs for xmas / birthdays that they just don't eat and some of them may have (ahem) disappeared :-O
28 Feb
3:30pm, 28 Feb 2024
18,449 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Mum's was bacofoil, clingfilm and bleach - always needed them all. We found so many of each - 12 bacofoil etc when we moved her from her flat
28 Feb
3:42pm, 28 Feb 2024
66,873 posts
  •  
LindsD
My friend found 8 alarm clocks when he cleared his Mum's flat. In their boxes, unopened.
28 Feb
3:47pm, 28 Feb 2024
53,781 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I can see how it starts. When we do our own online order we have a list and we go through 'favourites' and we might go 'Bacofoli - hmm, did we get that the other week?' And rather than go check, we just order some more just so we can get the shopping over quicker, thinking 'it won't hurt to have an extra one'.

When we get the groceries delivered we go, 'Oh, we already had some' and we don't order it the next week.

I suppose what happens is that each of the checks and balances you have slip one by one. So not only do you stop checking, you forget that you've checked and finally you forget *to* check.

The end state appears to be being presented with the evidence: 'look, you already have multiple packs of bacofoil' and yet not making the connection, 'we have plenty of that'. You just see 'Bacofoil - that's a thing we get' and keep getting it.
28 Feb
3:51pm, 28 Feb 2024
5,741 posts
  •  
icemaiden
It was calculators and cleaning products with my dad. Probably 10 calculators, not that he had anything worth calculating, and bathroom and kitchen sprays. Although he mostly managed his own shopping until I took over at the start of covid and he stopped going out.
28 Feb
4:00pm, 28 Feb 2024
1,461 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
Corned beef and tinned salmon! Helping Mum clear her cupboards at the weekend - 12 tins of each.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.