Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

6 lurkers | 140 watchers
28 Feb
4:08pm, 28 Feb 2024
66,875 posts
  •  
LindsD
I think you are right, McG. We *do* often end up with multiples of stuff because we cba to check.
28 Feb
4:23pm, 28 Feb 2024
12,387 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
I think there's also the fear of not being able to get out to get it if you run out.

Bacofoil with my mum too. She called it Bacon Foil. Fuck knows why - it never went anywhere near bacon. And sandwich bags. And Crisp n dry oil. We just used the last of the crisp n dry. The sandwich bags and "bacon foil" are going strong with surplus stock in the garage.

She's been dead over 6 months now.

But still the bacon foil! Like some sort of perpetual memorial or eternal light
28 Feb
4:40pm, 28 Feb 2024
18,450 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
When I looked in dad's cupboard they had 12 jars of gold blend coffee- big jars. Dad doesn't even like instant coffee he has a machine. Not sure why Jen kept buying the stuff
28 Feb
5:50pm, 28 Feb 2024
32,220 posts
  •  
macca 53
Corned beef and tinned salmon! Helping Mum clear her cupboards at the weekend - 12 tins of each.

I know that one from my mum “I have to have some in in case I get visitors and they need a sandwich…”
28 Feb
6:04pm, 28 Feb 2024
6,961 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Haven't noticed any hoarding tendencies with MiL as yet and she's doing her own shopping so fortunately not a situation I have to deal with currently.
28 Feb
6:50pm, 28 Feb 2024
2,217 posts
  •  
poppyH
Each of us 5 grandchildren rehomed a dozen bars of soap when my grandma died. As well as approx 8 towels and a dozen tea towels. Still using some of the teatowels 19 years later.
28 Feb
6:51pm, 28 Feb 2024
66,877 posts
  •  
LindsD
I have just discovered we have three bags of oranges in our fruit bowl :)
28 Feb
7:04pm, 28 Feb 2024
12,394 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
I'm still going on the imperial leather soap. I smell like I spawned in from the 1950s.
28 Feb
7:06pm, 28 Feb 2024
12,395 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
(by the way I hope you don't mind me still being here. I'm in a strange hinterland. My parents are gone now and Mr LFs dad had a milk stroke so we are wondering what the future holds for supporting him).
28 Feb
7:07pm, 28 Feb 2024
12,396 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Milk? Mild

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.