Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
1 Mar
6:36am, 1 Mar 2024
6,967 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Don't hesitate TR. It's a very difficult situation to find yourself in.

jda - your wife could try calling the consultant's secretary, explaining that she has PoA and expressing her dissatisfaction with the lack of communication.
1 Mar
7:00am, 1 Mar 2024
7,320 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Had a call at 12:45 this morning that mum had fallen going to the bathroom, so went over to help her up :( . She's just been prescribed sleeping pills and has fallen on two of the three nights she's taken them. I suspect it means when she does wake and need the bathroom she's too drowsy to maintain balance.
1 Mar
7:02am, 1 Mar 2024
66,904 posts
  •  
LindsD
Time for a commode TR?
1 Mar
7:22am, 1 Mar 2024
7,321 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
One was delivered with the bed yesterday, so yes - think it's time to put it to use.
1 Mar
7:32am, 1 Mar 2024
66,906 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hope that helps. Dad also fell on the way to the toilet in his final days and we had to call 999 to get him up.
1 Mar
7:41am, 1 Mar 2024
7,322 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
It's a bit full on at the moment - we're having our garage converted to a utility room, so coordinating with builders. Also elder son was the sandwich in a 3 car bump last weekend. He's fine but his car is written off and when speaking to him on the phone this morning he sounded a bit down about it. You never stop worrying about either generation do you?
1 Mar
7:50am, 1 Mar 2024
18,472 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Agree TR, always worrying one way or another
1 Mar
8:16am, 1 Mar 2024
66,909 posts
  •  
LindsD
So true. Currently trying to get my teen up for school.
1 Mar
8:36am, 1 Mar 2024
12,412 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Mine have gone out to school.
After a brief and animated discussion with Cuthbert about how the solution to running out of pants isn't to tell me the day you're on your last pair.
1 Mar
9:06am, 1 Mar 2024
66,912 posts
  •  
LindsD
:( no luck here.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.