Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
jda
2 Mar
6:42pm, 2 Mar 2024
16,610 posts
  •  
jda
A difficult visit Linds?

Hope it goes well TR.
2 Mar
6:45pm, 2 Mar 2024
66,956 posts
  •  
LindsD
Phone call jda
3 Mar
6:18am, 3 Mar 2024
6,976 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Let it out Linds...............
3 Mar
7:15am, 3 Mar 2024
66,964 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thank you 😊
3 Mar
11:03pm, 3 Mar 2024
7,330 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Was over at mum's 3pm today. She's in bed and mostly asleep. Struggles to talk, isn't eating (or drinking - were at the moistening lips stage). Breathing became more difficult and she was in pain and distressed as the afternoon wore on so we were able to get the district nurse to come and administer morphine along with medication to reduce her anxiety and to reduce the lung secretions. This helped her breathing and helped her settle. They're going to put in a syringe driver for morphine tomorrow. Sister was supposed to be picking up elder nephew from coach station at 6:30 and taking over from us at 7, but mum was asking for her, so she came at 6 and I collected nephew.
Mrs TR and my younger son came over with me, and mum made a point of telling both of them how much she loved them.
We're fortunate to have a Marie Curie nurse again tonight so we're off duty. We're back again 11-1 tomorrow. Again we're fortunate that there are friends near mum who are happy to spend time sitting with her to share the load.
3 Mar
11:18pm, 3 Mar 2024
29,441 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Thoughts with you TR
3 Mar
11:19pm, 3 Mar 2024
323 posts
  •  
kaysdee
What a lovely family you are and what a blessing for your mum. Thinking of you. Hugs.
3 Mar
11:22pm, 3 Mar 2024
66,982 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thinking of you TR
4 Mar
2:58am, 4 Mar 2024
74,407 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Thoughts are with you all. So glad your mum has been able to tell you her thoughts xx
4 Mar
6:37am, 4 Mar 2024
6,982 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'm glad your mum is being kept comfortable and has the time to say her goodbyes TR. I hope it isn't too difficult a period for all of you but as kaysdee said it sounds as though you have a lovely family and are supporting each other.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.