Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
1 Mar
9:30am, 1 Mar 2024
6,969 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
The sandwich generation TR. :-( You have a lot on your plate at the moment. Look after yourself too.

Sorry to hear you have issues with school still/again Linds. Another in the middle of th sandwich. :-(

Did you tell him to turn a pair inside out lf? :-)
1 Mar
9:42am, 1 Mar 2024
66,915 posts
  •  
LindsD
:) thanks
1 Mar
9:47am, 1 Mar 2024
7,323 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Thanks all heart
jda
1 Mar
10:29am, 1 Mar 2024
16,598 posts
  •  
jda
LMH you are the fount of all knowledge!

I didn't mention your post to my wife immediately, but she phoned the hospital this morning and as well as a message being passed up the chain she has been given.....the phone number of the consultant's secretary!

Who even knew that these things existed?

Anyway, they have promised a phone call at some point, or she will call if she hears nothing today - which presumably will mean after the weekend, but it's not actually urgent, the transfer is happening today regardless, we just want to know what his condition and prospects actually are.
1 Mar
11:06am, 1 Mar 2024
66,922 posts
  •  
LindsD
Good news
1 Mar
11:23am, 1 Mar 2024
6,971 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Insider knowledge jda. Hope you get some answers.
jda
2 Mar
1:58pm, 2 Mar 2024
16,608 posts
  •  
jda
Well FiL is installed at the care home and it looks really nice to us. They were just wheeling him into the lounge as we arrived, but we went back to his room for coffee and a chat. He didn't seem upset by the change in circumstances but not sure whether he has really grasped his situation. Apparently the NHS is paying for a month, following which there is some further assessment about his condition and needs. Our assumption being he'll stay there on his own dime from then on.
2 Mar
2:07pm, 2 Mar 2024
6,974 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Positive jda. I guess they'll be doing a continuing care assessment to determine funding at the end of the month. I'd have though he should qualify for some funding at least with only one useable arm and cognitive difficulties.
2 Mar
2:11pm, 2 Mar 2024
66,948 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's brilliant news jda
jda
2 Mar
2:22pm, 2 Mar 2024
16,609 posts
  •  
jda
Yes it's all gone as well as could be hoped really. Still a shame that he seems to have basically lost the use of his legs thanks to a broken elbow. He walked almost a mile on the day he fell. But everyone has a final straw, eventually.

Manager wasn't in today of course and the consultant phone call didn't happen yesterday, so one way or another we hope to learn more on Monday.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.