Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
28 Feb
7:09pm, 28 Feb 2024
74,299 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
LF, I’m still here and I have no parentals left.

OH still has his dad although he is miles away and his two daughters do most of the looking after.
28 Feb
7:52pm, 28 Feb 2024
66,878 posts
  •  
LindsD
Everyone welcome here. Your experience is invaluable.

So apparently I got myself in a tizz about nothing. All of Mum's tests were clear apart from the low sodium. Could be caused by long-term use of Omeprazole. They switched her onto something else a couple of weeks back when she first went about her nausea.
28 Feb
7:56pm, 28 Feb 2024
74,301 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I know, I feel I’ve been on Omeprazole too long but have tried to do without them but they help.
28 Feb
7:57pm, 28 Feb 2024
66,880 posts
  •  
LindsD
She's probably been on them for 10 years if not longer.
28 Feb
8:00pm, 28 Feb 2024
74,303 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Me too when I think about it. I was put on them when my gall bladder was removed 13 years ago. They were actually doubled last year as they thought it might help my cough - thinking it may be reflux. I’ve stopped the double dose as cough is back so no help.
28 Feb
8:02pm, 28 Feb 2024
18,453 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Been on them too since gallbladder removed
28 Feb
9:02pm, 28 Feb 2024
12,621 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
MiL hoards Raid (the fly spray) as she’s convinced that there are ‘critters’ living in the carpet. There aren’t but she’s not having it. Every time C shops for her she wants another 2 cans.
29 Feb
6:46am, 29 Feb 2024
6,962 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Good news Linds.

Stick around as long as you want lf. It's good to have a variety of experience and perspectives.
29 Feb
7:17am, 29 Feb 2024
18,457 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
I think I may be frequenting, and contributing, more again soon.

Dad is 80, and the more time I spend with him the more I am worrying. Don't get me wrong he is OK but his driving leaves a lot to be desired, in my view he is becoming dangerous. He is very confused at times, and also I worry about his health. Doesn't help he is 2.5 hours away (on a good drive).

We can't afford to move close to him and he loves where he lives but a 3 story town house isn't the best for him.

Here we go again....
29 Feb
7:21am, 29 Feb 2024
66,886 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hugs Mandy

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.