Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
26 Feb
8:08am, 26 Feb 2024
66,830 posts
  •  
LindsD
That sounds distressing
26 Feb
10:40am, 26 Feb 2024
6,957 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Hope you get some reassuring answers Linds.

Doesn't sound as though he'll be going home unless there's a marked cognitive improvement jda.
26 Feb
10:47am, 26 Feb 2024
66,832 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thanks. To be honest, and I would only say this in here, I would almost rather a scary and worrying diagnosis with some possibility of symptom mitigation than a continuation of this litany of symptoms that she finds it difficult to live with but love to rant about but no diagnosis other than *this health problem* and *that health problem* and age. I feel bad saying that but I know I'm safe here. Perhaps a worrying diagnosis might spur her into taking some responsibility for her health instead of just expecting that there will be a side-effect free pill that will solve her issues.
26 Feb
10:51am, 26 Feb 2024
6,958 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I hear you Linds. Unfortunately I doubt even a worrying diagnosis would change the 'fix it for me' attitude. Hopefully I'm wrong!
26 Feb
11:06am, 26 Feb 2024
66,833 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yeah. You are probably right.
26 Feb
10:41pm, 26 Feb 2024
7,312 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
We're sorting out extra carers and a hospital style bed for mum (99 and diagnosed last month with lung cancer). She is really struggling - quite understandably just wants to go to sleep and not wake up. Three times in the last fortnight she's had to have paramedics out during the night as she's struggled to breathe. She is now basically housebound.

The doctor has said that she's unlikely to make her centenary in June.
She continues to be appreciative of what anyone does for her, but she is so, so tired heart
26 Feb
10:44pm, 26 Feb 2024
74,251 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
TR, that's such a shame . Hopefully her strong will can see her through till June but is so sad to see them struggle.
26 Feb
11:01pm, 26 Feb 2024
66,839 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's sad TR
27 Feb
6:15am, 27 Feb 2024
6,959 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to hear that TR.

How did it go yesterday Linds?
27 Feb
7:07am, 27 Feb 2024
18,437 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Very sad TR xx

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.