Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
24 Feb
8:18am, 24 Feb 2024
10,249 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Sending hugs Linds x
24 Feb
8:19am, 24 Feb 2024
26,391 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Jda. How is FiL taking the news and handling hospitalisation

Linds. That is difficult. I hope all is ok.
CK2
24 Feb
8:20am, 24 Feb 2024
2,644 posts
  •  
CK2
Very tough for you Linds. Kidney failure was (amongst a host of other issues) a concern for dad but I’m rubbish on advice as there was a lot else going on then too.
24 Feb
8:22am, 24 Feb 2024
6,952 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
You can live a long time with a degree of kidney failure Linds at whatever age.
24 Feb
8:25am, 24 Feb 2024
66,792 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thank you. Not sure she would want to live w her current symptoms but perhaps some can be controlled.
24 Feb
8:25am, 24 Feb 2024
17,031 posts
  •  
Dave W
Due to his multiple myeloma dads had chronic kidney disease for years. The doctors manage it pretty well with drugs. Not ideal. But depending on how bad it is it can be manageable.
24 Feb
8:26am, 24 Feb 2024
66,793 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thank you. That's encouraging
24 Feb
8:30am, 24 Feb 2024
17,032 posts
  •  
Dave W
And what with his cardiac problems such as his recent heart attack they do a marvellous job of balancing all his medication.

The most heartening thing for me is that they haven’t written him off. He’s eighty seven with failing health and they keep on trying. I don’t have a bad word to say about the medical profession. I think they are just brilliant.
24 Feb
8:32am, 24 Feb 2024
53,759 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Besides all the other stuff, my MiL has poor kidney function. However, she never drinks enough. Always says she's taking in fluids but point blank refuses to a lot of the time.
24 Feb
9:13am, 24 Feb 2024
19,623 posts
  •  
Sweetie
My mother has also had kidney failure for ages (she's 84 now). The only issue she had was last year because her GP was prescribing meds for her heart failure at full doses, when he should have dose reduced to allow for the renal insufficiency. Once her doses were halved she stabilized and has been fine since.
She has kidney failure, heart failure and respiratory failure but is still trundling on. They call it 'failure', which sounds really dramatic, but it is more 'reduced function'.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.