Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
jda
24 Feb
9:41am, 24 Feb 2024
16,565 posts
  •  
jda
FiL has some reduced kidney function too, also refuses to drink. Sigh.
24 Feb
9:44am, 24 Feb 2024
17,034 posts
  •  
Dave W
Yeah. Last heart attack my dad had was in part due to him being dehydrated. Made his blood thicker and concentrated all the stuff (technical term) in his blood. His potassium levels were off the charts.

Such an easy thing to remedy but you can’t be with them all the time.
24 Feb
10:04am, 24 Feb 2024
66,795 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thank you all
24 Feb
11:01am, 24 Feb 2024
26,392 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
My dad 77 has chronic kidney disease but is completely unaware of it and not been prescribed anything or told to do anything different.
24 Feb
11:38am, 24 Feb 2024
66,798 posts
  •  
LindsD
Her symptoms are such that her quality of life is severely impaired so hopefully something can be done.
25 Feb
11:18pm, 25 Feb 2024
3,063 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
Grandad lived with less than 15% kidney function for 10 years plus with dietary control and some tablets. It was when it got worse, possibly due to getting covid Jan 2020 (undiagnosed), that the problems started because they just couldn't get dialysis working for him.
26 Feb
7:07am, 26 Feb 2024
66,827 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thank you
26 Feb
7:30am, 26 Feb 2024
17,077 posts
  •  
Dave W
Quite some time ago we got a report about my dad saying that he had "chronic" kidney disease. Chronic, we thought. That's bad. But it means something different to the medical profession. It means that it is a long term condition, not that it is particularly bad. Not optimal, but not as bad as you may think. Direct lift from Kidney Care UK charity website.

The term ‘chronic’ means that it is a long-term condition. It does not necessarily mean your kidney damage is severe as many cases of CKD are mild and can be managed with help from your GP and without hospital involvement.
26 Feb
7:33am, 26 Feb 2024
66,829 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thanks. I hope to know more later today.
jda
26 Feb
8:05am, 26 Feb 2024
16,574 posts
  •  
jda
FiL has been a bit confused in hospital but yesterday was fully deluded. When we arrived he said oh how convenient I was just about to get up and go home. Apparently he only came in that morning, and he’d also been to Australia recently, though he couldn’t tell us what he’d done there (he did visit a few decades ago). No, of course he hadn’t been in hospital for the past two months, don’t be ridiculous.

Don’t think there is any risk of them sending him home now. He seemed happy enough at least. His arm was substantially swollen though they said that wasn’t so unusual after removing the x-fix.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.