Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
Dec 2023
5:01pm, 11 Dec 2023
6,792 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Happy - CQC reports can be useful (if you have them or an equivalent in Scotland) or word of mouth. If you are on any local FB groups that could be a good place to start.

I hope it isn't too stressful Baz.
Dec 2023
9:51pm, 11 Dec 2023
26,066 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
It all went well. Daughter was great and mil enjoyed it. I think she found it all a bit much though and was glad to be home in her bed.
Dec 2023
10:12pm, 11 Dec 2023
7,192 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
That's good to hear đź‘Ť
Dec 2023
6:25am, 12 Dec 2023
6,794 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Well done Baz.
Dec 2023
7:54am, 12 Dec 2023
65,449 posts
  •  
LindsD
Good news
Dec 2023
7:33pm, 17 Dec 2023
49,846 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Sorry I need to rant

I normally FaceTime mum Friday 7pm

I spoke last Friday and we saw her the next day
I told her I was out this Friday ie I wouldn’t FaceTime

I then didn’t call yesterday evening as she’s an avid strictly fan and it was the final.

So I called tonight

Ffs she complained that I had said I was out but didn’t say what was happening, so I said about strictly and she stropped that I could have called all day yesterday or today.

She never calls me!

So pissed off at her attitude.

Sorry I know it’s trivial compared to what a lot of you are going through.

On the plus side she did have her 48 hr heart monitor which she is taking back to the hospital tomorrow but don’t expect anything for 3-4 week “if they can be bothered”

(Counts to 10 and breaths)
Dec 2023
7:48pm, 17 Dec 2023
65,544 posts
  •  
LindsD
Oh Pix, I totally hear you. I've just spoken to my Mum and it made me think of you.

My Mum started off by telling me that her legs were bad and she had had to go to bed, and that she had struggled to walk back from the post box earlier on. I asked her whether she was taking the drugs that the pain clinic gave her and she said no because of the side effects. FFS. I know it must be hard, but she can't have it both ways. She just can't accept that some problems can't be fixed by drugs with no side effects. She is so negative about everything. That last sentence could be my Mum talking. She always thinks everyone is doing their worst and lazy, especially - of all things - health care workers. She is having her brother and my cousin for Christmas Eve lunch - my sister will do all the catering - and she was moaning on 'I wish I hadn't said they could come'. She really struggles to find joy in anything at all. And her best friend has a man friend and she's really upset and jealous and can't find it in her heart to be glad for her (friend is 86....). She just commented that she had bought a sparkly top 'when normally she's so frumpy'. I find it so hard not to be sucked into complaining as well, and to say something that isn't judgemental of her but also doesn't agree with her. And breathe. As you say.
Dec 2023
7:53pm, 17 Dec 2023
37,126 posts
  •  
Ness
Frustrating, Pix. [Have to say though, if my mum's experience of the 48 hr heart rate monitor is anything to go by, she's correct. My mum was told it would be 3 weeks before she got any results. She heard nothing and I had to chase it up for her through her GP.]
Dec 2023
7:54pm, 17 Dec 2023
49,847 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
It’s hard isn’t it?
I sometimes think I’m bad that I should do more then I think no! She needs to do more. She can’t expect everyone else to do things

Then she makes me feel like a bitch by reacting like that.

So hard
Dec 2023
8:04pm, 17 Dec 2023
37,127 posts
  •  
Ness
She could call you but doesn't. My mum generally doesn't. She has been since I came home yesterday morning, mainly for reminder about which eye drops to use.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.