Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
MH
Dec 2023
4:58pm, 6 Dec 2023
1,015 posts
  •  
MH
*de-lurks*
Sorry about your Mum, Happy - I hope she can stay comfortable.
Bazoaxe - I really don't know how you and your wife cope with this.

It really does seem to vary so much depending on where you are - My Mum had a few days in hospital for checks after a minor fall and was ready to be DC'd after a day but they took so much time to check care situation - which is good - but were still umming a bit even though we could demonstrate she lived with My brother and SiL, had me going in when they weren't there and had recently had OT assessment - comparing that to my OH's aunt who was DC'd in a taxi back to her house alone in the middle of the night.
Dec 2023
5:20pm, 6 Dec 2023
6,779 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Blather away decorum!
CK2
Dec 2023
5:31pm, 6 Dec 2023
2,445 posts
  •  
CK2
Absolutely - you beat me to it LMH!
Dec 2023
7:11pm, 6 Dec 2023
65,343 posts
  •  
LindsD
+1
Dec 2023
7:23pm, 6 Dec 2023
26,024 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I agree, sometimes just getting it down helps and knowing some people listen, understand, care and support really helps
Dec 2023
10:15pm, 6 Dec 2023
48,739 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Thanks everyone. She has taken it all remarkably well, the old thing! :-) G
Dec 2023
1:25pm, 10 Dec 2023
7,185 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Had a call from my mum (99, lives alone in a retirement village 3 miles from us): "the alarms going off and I don't know how to turn it off". So went over - not knowing what alarm it was. Into the stairway and there's a strong smell of smoke, into her hallway and there's a haze. In the kitchen and mum has opened the window to dispel the smoke and is plating her dinner while sorting out the burnt tart on the microwave plate that she got the timing wrong on. There's already a guy there who was alerted by another village resident who'd seen the smoke and he's turned the alarm off. Mum's philosophical about it "silly old woman" with a smile and we all settle down. At that point a fireman in full garb appears in the doorway! Fire engine outside. They had a very effective fan that quickly cleared the house of the haze of smoke, checked all was OK and stood down.
It seemed slightly surreal! Mum seems OK and seemed ruefully amused by it all. Hopefully she won't brood on her mistake too much now she's back on her own again. It looks like just a one-off mistake, but I will keep an eye open to fully satisfy myself that it's not the start of an issue.
Dec 2023
1:29pm, 10 Dec 2023
36,929 posts
  •  
Ness
Aw! Glad she was OK and hope it is just a one off!
Dec 2023
1:33pm, 10 Dec 2023
26,056 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
That is a worry but hopefully a one off. Great that others were also on the ball and on hand.

Mrs axe and I were talking about similar yesterday . mil was in bed as is customary these days. She was very confused and admitted as much herself. Multiple times.

It is really sad to see someone like this, but there is nothing we can really do. However I did note her mobility issues mean that although confused, we are safe in the knowledge that other Than falling whenever she gets up unsupervised, there is no risk of anything else.
Dec 2023
1:34pm, 10 Dec 2023
6,786 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
If that's due to her age TR I'm even older than I feel. LOL. Reassuring that the alarm got such a good response.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.