Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

6 lurkers | 140 watchers
Nov 2023
8:13am, 22 Nov 2023
49,019 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I know that there are 3 safes at mum's!
and my grandparents stuff
it will be as JDA says - sort a bit then get someone in but I was talking to Running Duck the other day and she was quoted £750 for the first 2 hrs then £200? per hour after that or something ridiculous like that plus you then have to pay for things to be sold I guess so that's got the potential to be very expensive
jda
Nov 2023
9:06am, 22 Nov 2023
15,944 posts
  •  
jda
When we got my grandmother’s place cleared the auction proceeds paid significantly more than the costs, and we’d already taken some actually valuable stuff.

I don’t recall how much of a fee there was, but they made their 10% on all sales or whatever it was. Maybe 15% or more even. I think there was also a charge for unsaleable stuff they had to dispose of so we took a few old beds etc to the tip ourselves. Having 4 strong adults and 2 vans helped with this :-)

I guess it depends a bit whether you look at it as costs paid, or getting money for nothing.
Nov 2023
9:18am, 22 Nov 2023
3,076 posts
  •  
Big_G
I paid someone who was licensed, and they cleared my Gran’s place, after anything of value was taken out. This was 20 years ago or so, but it was very cheap. They took everything, and did things like dismantling/ripping apart sofas to get at the foam, as that is recycled into other things. The other thing I found is that it basically took them a day to do what it would have taken me a week and a lot of effort to do. They know what they’re doing and they’re very efficient. For me it was money well spent.

(I’ve read that back, and it sounds a bit cold, I know. It took me a while to get to the point of getting someone in, but once it was done it was a relief).
Nov 2023
9:59am, 22 Nov 2023
65,114 posts
  •  
LindsD
I suppose it's a bit like paying packers to move house for you. They don't care about your stuff so they do it quickly. A bit gets broken and possibly lost and everything ends up in the wrong place but if you did it yourself it would take a month and you (I)'d be a wreck.
Nov 2023
9:59am, 22 Nov 2023
49,028 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
we had packers when we moved 19 yrs ago and they were brilliant
Nov 2023
10:11am, 22 Nov 2023
3,079 posts
  •  
Big_G
Probably off topic, but when we moved a few years ago, we were tempted to do it ourselves as girlfriend only lived about 2mins away from the place we were buying. But we got a quote and it was a no brainier, so we got removals in. Seeing those guys work is something else. They can pick something up as if it’s nothing, lug it up steps to the house, and then upstairs to the bedroom. Put it down, turn around straight away and go and get the next thing. If that was me, for that one item, I’d still be struggling getting it into the house and would be getting tired, and in that time they’ve probably already got the second time inside. They just keep going. They did say that once they pick up an item, they don’t put it down again as that wastes a lot of energy and time.
Nov 2023
10:12am, 22 Nov 2023
49,030 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
we moved Gnome from uni to rented and then between rented houses
OMG nightmare so yes agree!
jda
Nov 2023
10:46am, 22 Nov 2023
15,946 posts
  •  
jda
I’d agree that good removals people are excellent and I don’t recall any breakages, surely better than we’d have done by ourselves. Similarly for the auctioneers/house clearers. They make their money from sales so won’t want to break anything valuable. I think LindsD’s characterisation is a bit harsh but there may be some cowboys out there.
Nov 2023
11:04am, 22 Nov 2023
65,116 posts
  •  
LindsD
Recent move: several things broken/damaged and one item went missing. On the day, brilliant service so I gave a 5* review, but all this other stuff came to light after. We tried to claim for damage to our table and they said it was below their excess limit (my fault, should have checked - £250) and offered me £25 goodwill payment. I guess we were just unlucky.
Nov 2023
11:04am, 22 Nov 2023
65,117 posts
  •  
LindsD
(sorry off-topic)

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.