Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
Nov 2023
5:02pm, 22 Nov 2023
11,747 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
The only thing that got broken in our move was a butter dish. I broke it unpacking it. Our movers were amazing
Nov 2023
7:23pm, 22 Nov 2023
25,961 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Our house movers smashed a window in our car. This was intentional though as MiL had put our kids in the car and shut the door but somehow locked the kids inside with the keys. Both aged under two couldn’t understand the instructions to unlock the car..
Nov 2023
7:48pm, 22 Nov 2023
49,060 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
😮
Nov 2023
8:52pm, 22 Nov 2023
11,752 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
We're still emptying mums house. The aim is to get to the point where none of it is of sentimental or monetary value we'll get a clearance company in
Nov 2023
9:00pm, 22 Nov 2023
3,087 posts
  •  
Big_G
leaguefreak, that’s essentially what I did too.
Dec 2023
9:08pm, 5 Dec 2023
26,018 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Mrs axe took a call last night just as I was putting tea in the oven being late home from work again.

It was the falls team. Mil fell on top her zimmer and as she had hurt her hand and lip it was a multiple injury and so an ambulance was called.

We decided to leave them to it as nothing seemed wrong really. BiL was informed and too ill to take any responsibility. Also said lots of other nasty and untrue stuff which isn’t helpful.

We were going to visit tonight, but a call this morning and MiL being sent home by hospital taxi. Mrs axe went round at lunchtime to make sure the house was ready for her. Sometime between 12:45 when Mrs axe left and 4pm when the carer arrived, MiL fell. Carer found her on the floor and the falls team arrived. Mrs axe went in after work to find this all out but MIL was safely In bed and the story was confused.

The gp has made noises that she shouldn’t be at home after he was last out. Problem is MiL will not willingly go into care. BiL will play no part in things and despite knowing it’s the right thing Mrs axe doesn’t want to be the one who forces this on her mum. Oh, and even if she does you can bet your bottom dollar BiL will not be agreeable to whatever care home choices mrs axe wants to make.

This really is a mess.
Dec 2023
9:13pm, 5 Dec 2023
49,536 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Oh lord that’s tough

I hope mil is ok
Dec 2023
9:23pm, 5 Dec 2023
72,612 posts
  •  
Merry Lip Gloss
It’s such a shame but better MrsAxe making the choices before it’s taken out her hands completely or worse still a fall that will do some damage.
Dec 2023
9:25pm, 5 Dec 2023
26,020 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Yeah, MiL is fine. Quite how she doesn’t hurt herself I don’t know.

She is stubborn though. On Sunday she asked me multiple times to go and get something to eat. I said each time I had just had lunch and was fine. She then Decide to go herself to get me the biscuits. I had to ask her what she was doing and to please sit back down as I really didn’t want any biscuits.

It’s just the way she was brought up. Every visitor must be given hospitality. I have tried so often to explain there is no need we are there to see how she is and be company for her.
Dec 2023
9:31pm, 5 Dec 2023
72,614 posts
  •  
Merry Lip Gloss
It’s hard when they are still that stubborn.

Think OH’s dad is finally coming round to fact that he needs carers in.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.