Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

8 lurkers | 140 watchers
jda
Dec 2023
1:45pm, 10 Dec 2023
16,068 posts
  •  
jda
Coincidentally we just put smoke alarms up in FiL's house. He used to have some connected to the burglar alarm system, caused some amusement one christmas time when my wife accidentally knocked the sensor and some time later a bunch of burly firemen appeared! It has a remote connection as they are sufficiently isolated there are no neighbours to hear anything.

The burglar alarm is long since defunct, they claimed it couldn't be maintained/upgraded, only replaced at vast expense, but still tried to take the annual fee until we firmly told them to bugger off several times.

FiL seems to be really enjoying his weekly shopping trip with the new carers, with hindsight it must have been getting to be a real struggle for him doing it himself. So that's a real success. The new company seem a lot more on the ball than the previous ones too. They also take him to the bank, doctor etc.
Dec 2023
5:30pm, 10 Dec 2023
6,789 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sounds like good news jda.
Dec 2023
8:13pm, 10 Dec 2023
48,775 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
That does sound good Jda. Is it a private care arrangement or is it social services?

Thanks for folk's concerns about my mum. She seems OK, not bad on our shopping trip yesterday. And lots of support services kicking in with an untreatable cancer diagnosis! :-) G
jda
Dec 2023
8:24pm, 10 Dec 2023
16,072 posts
  •  
jda
Oh it's private. And TBH a few hours a week is peanuts considering what things usually end up like in dementia cases.
jda
Dec 2023
8:25pm, 10 Dec 2023
16,073 posts
  •  
jda
Good to hear your mum is doing ok - and you too!
Dec 2023
10:18pm, 10 Dec 2023
48,776 posts
  •  
Could I ask jda - how did you find such a good services? I'm completely new to this trying to find help for my mum. :-) G
jda
Dec 2023
9:12am, 11 Dec 2023
16,074 posts
  •  
jda
That's the challenge HG. My wife basically asked every healthcare professional she spoke to, some of them said "oh no I couldn't possibly advise on a commercial service" but she did get some useful pointers.

There were some who did say they might be able to get him some help but it seemed to start off with filling in means-testing forms which we already know is basically a waste of time.
Dec 2023
9:14am, 11 Dec 2023
48,784 posts
  •  
Thanks jda, that's my fear, is how do you vet a commercial service? You don't want to put them in the hands of anyone other than very professional, caring people. But how do you know? It's not like there's a TripAdvisor for social care? :-) G
Dec 2023
9:29am, 11 Dec 2023
26,060 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We have found the local authority care to be fabulous. We have asked them about private care as and when required but that didn’t seem to be something they offered.

We did get some names but the worry was how good they would be. Also for health appts which is our main issue it’s better for the family to be there as we know the background. We can also hear what is said. mil is way beyond being able to cope with either

Tonight we have a challenge as our daughter is in a dance show. Mil desperate to go and we gave a ticket for her. Her health though is going to make this a challenge. Hopefully we get her there and back safely and she enjoys the show.
jda
Dec 2023
9:45am, 11 Dec 2023
16,075 posts
  •  
jda
You don’t know HG but if your mum is still compos mentis she can form a judgement.

Both the companies we’ve used give reports every time they attend and what they do, which my wife can access online.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.