Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

7 lurkers | 140 watchers
Dec 2023
10:43am, 18 Dec 2023
22,870 posts
  •  
I saw 3Ms come sailing in
And I should have said - hang on in there folks. And keep talking to your loved ones and support networks. They really do help.
Dec 2023
7:34pm, 18 Dec 2023
6,800 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I’m glad you’ve been able to ditch the weekly call Linds. Use whatever phrase you’re comfortable with both for your own conscience and not antagonizing your mum and making things more difficult.

What did the GP say Baz?
Dec 2023
7:50pm, 18 Dec 2023
26,106 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Thanks for asking LMH

the gp took bloods and checked over and doesn’t think pneumonia but has given antibiotics as a possible infection may be there. Not clear though but we all agree things are not good

The dementia nurse called separately and gave his view mil should not be at home. He had told BiL the same as his visit last week coincided with a plumber fixing a leak that bil dealt with. BiL said he won’t raise with his mum as it upsets her.

BiL of course will not speak to us other than by text and even that’s challenging.

So either Mrs axe has to do this alone and be the one who upsets her mum or the authorities decide. Mrs axe doesn’t want to be thrown under a bus by her brother.
Dec 2023
7:53pm, 18 Dec 2023
26,107 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Oh, and it’s worth noting how little trouble we have getting the gp out. We keep reading and hearing horror stories. Mil gp comes out same day

We are at a different practice and both Mrs axe and our daughter have also had recent appointments with no issue

That said I know my parents just outside Edinburgh have a much harder time getting gp appts.
Dec 2023
9:04pm, 18 Dec 2023
65,562 posts
  •  
LindsD
OH put in an online request for an appointment at 12. The GP called him straight away and there was a prescription at the pharmacist by 4pm. No complaints here.
Dec 2023
9:04am, 19 Dec 2023
48,936 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
GP has been coming out to Mum's house without asking at least once every 2 weeks. Almost like old style district doctor type thing. Def can't complain! The NHS really is quite wonderful sometimes. :-) G
Dec 2023
9:36am, 19 Dec 2023
65,568 posts
  •  
LindsD
Ah yes. Our GP did that too when Dad was dying. And he came to see us after Dad died, too.
Dec 2023
11:45am, 19 Dec 2023
32,017 posts
  •  
macca 53
Same here for both my in-laws, so much so that MiL was convinced (in her early dementia days) that the doctor found her irresistibly attractive 🙈
Dec 2023
12:03pm, 19 Dec 2023
65,575 posts
  •  
LindsD
I can't imagine that happening with my surgery. Not complaining, just don't really 'know' the doctors at all. London, innit?
MH
Dec 2023
12:42pm, 19 Dec 2023
1,021 posts
  •  
MH
Sorry to hear that Bazoaxe - It does sound as though Mrs Axe will have to be the one taking over though (particularly if your BiL's own mental health isn't great). Really tough to do, but the next accident might not be so 'lucky' (wrong word but I hope you get the gist) - it's really hard when we know that our parents need be in a different set up but don't want it.
(saying this as we exit the door to see my MiL that we recently had to move into a care home...)

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.