Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

20 lurkers | 140 watchers
Dec 2023
9:15am, 20 Dec 2023
4,689 posts
  •  
Ally-C
She spends most of it buying worthless shit to send to folk I’ve not see for years, mostly cousins & her brother.

Paying a tenner to the shops each way in a taxi, to but something for a fiver, that costs a tenner to post 🤬

She was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was 9 and never took meds, I’m sick of the sight of her after fifty years of this nonsense tbh.
Dec 2023
10:13am, 20 Dec 2023
48,943 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
That's tough Ally. Whenever I hear of the difficult relationships that some folk have with their olds (often mums?!) makes me feel a bit more tolerant (or appreciative actually) of my old mum, cos she's a bit cantankerous and sharp, but she's not too bad.

Trying to get replacement nasal cannula for oxygenator (just wee plastic tube that goes up the nose, that gets grubby). Incorrectly go on to public supplier and they said they are £349 a set (and mum should replace them monthly!!) Spoke to NHS supplier, and they are sending 3 out in the post for free. The NHS is getting RIPPED OFF by medical suppliers?! That's all of our tax by the way!! :-) G
Dec 2023
10:35am, 20 Dec 2023
22,907 posts
  •  
I saw 3Ms come sailing in
£349? Wow! There's a couple of sets kicking around my Mum's "supplies" cupboard....
Dec 2023
10:55am, 20 Dec 2023
48,944 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Stick em on eBay 3M! :-) G
Dec 2023
10:58am, 20 Dec 2023
26,121 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We had a time when mil was buying all that useless stuff from magazines as a replacement for being unable to shop. She genuinely thought the stuff was useful and that she would win the £10k and secure the financial future of her family.
Dec 2023
11:03am, 20 Dec 2023
3,952 posts
  •  
decorum
Hugs to all.

Aged Parent is supposed to be going to my sisters, for Christmas. He hasn't gone yet but has already reduced the time he'll be there by two days ...

This will be the third time they'll have spent time together this year [which, with Christmas, will end up as less than 10 days] ... she's happy to have his money and tells us we're so lucky to have quality time with him (yes ... he pees in the kitchen sink, keeps putting soiled toilet paper in the bathroom sink/shelf/bath side, is a purposely antagonistic packrat who has the memory of a goldfish and is a quietly raging bigot ... )
Dec 2023
11:04am, 20 Dec 2023
3,953 posts
  •  
decorum
[She's reduced the time, not Aged Parent]
Dec 2023
3:13pm, 20 Dec 2023
28,224 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizzmas
I wish we could all send you & Mrs d on a 3 month cruise or something
Dec 2023
5:46pm, 20 Dec 2023
6,805 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I hope you can make the most of the time decorum. No chance of persuading him to decide to extend his stay?
Dec 2023
5:47pm, 20 Dec 2023
65,593 posts
  •  
LindsD
Me too

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.