Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

9 lurkers | 140 watchers
Dec 2023
10:02am, 24 Dec 2023
53,481 posts
  •  
McGoohan
(Thanks all, sometimes this thread moves on quickly)

The thing is we're going to have to call her bluff. She genuinely will refuse to have the op if outside care is brought in. She has dementia herself now and it has only made her lifetime of social anxiety worse by adding on a layer of paranoia
Dec 2023
10:55am, 24 Dec 2023
65,684 posts
  •  
LindsD
Such a tricky situation
Dec 2023
10:58am, 24 Dec 2023
17,997 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
So so hard McG xx
Dec 2023
11:30am, 24 Dec 2023
6,810 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Thanks Linds. This too will pass.

McG - that is terrible emotional blackmail and irrational, impracticable and unsustainable. Is MiL's dementia advanced enough that being told that if she refuses to have the operation and dies FiL will be left alone and have to go in to care anyway? I'm afraid I'd be that blunt.
Dec 2023
12:01pm, 24 Dec 2023
65,691 posts
  •  
LindsD
Me too
Dec 2023
12:03pm, 24 Dec 2023
26,141 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Mcgoohan, that sounds awful and puts you all in a very difficult position.

We went to see mil yesterday prepared to have to be very flexible around tomorrows arrangements. However in an amazing turnaround mil although still completely mobile was looking and sounding much better and declared wild horses will not stop her coming on Christmas Day.
Dec 2023
12:57pm, 24 Dec 2023
48,989 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Good news Bazo. Some tough situations for others, my sympathies. My mum coming to us for a couple days. And sis, husband and our wee niece for one of those. I need to make sure I keep some time for my wife who tends to look after everyone but no one thinking of her.

Wishing you all the best possible situations for Christmas with the aged (and sometimes troublesome not so aged!) rellies! :-) G
Dec 2023
1:16pm, 24 Dec 2023
6,812 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I hope you manage to have a good day tomorrow Baz.

Enjoy the family time Happy and good thinking about your wife!
Dec 2023
2:12pm, 24 Dec 2023
72,972 posts
  •  
Merry Lip Gloss
I wish you all the best day you can have where oldies are involved. Just remember to keep breathing and take some time out for yourself.

McG, that's a tough one but it also needs to be tackled with a bit of straight talking with no ifs or buts. Her choice if she refuses any of her ops
Dec 2023
5:31pm, 25 Dec 2023
26,145 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Today deserves a blog which I will do in due course.

A few minor hiccups but we improvised.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.