Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 140 watchers
CK2
Oct 2023
9:06am, 27 Oct 2023
2,359 posts
  •  
CK2
Yes - bathroom breaks definitely need planning! Good call EP.
Oct 2023
9:08am, 27 Oct 2023
35,435 posts
  •  
Ness
I've no experience of taking an elderly person out but as a special school teacher I used to take wheelchair bound young people out on school trips. Your plans look ok but will your dad be able to manage without a toilet stop while out? If not are there accessible toilets he'll be able to get to? Is there a "changing places" public toilet in Paignton?
Hope it goes well if you do go ahead with the visit. It sounds like a lovely idea for him.
Oct 2023
9:09am, 27 Oct 2023
35,436 posts
  •  
Ness
Ah. X post with EP.
Oct 2023
9:27am, 27 Oct 2023
3,006 posts
  •  
Big_G
CK2, I will speak to the taxi firm about seeing if I can call them back earlier than 1pm if I need to. Thanks.

Regarding loo breaks, he has a catheter (long story about why he has one of those…), but number 2s could be an issue. At home, he cannot get to the loo as he is not strong enough, and he wears nappies (sorry, I know that’s not what they’re called, but I don’t actually know their proper name). I know an accident could be embarrassing for him when out though. He is not able to do anything on his own so getting into a public loo is a nonstarter, both for me (I am not ‘hands on’ in that way), and also for him. This indeed could be a stumbling block!

(Forgot to say, I checked yesterday and there is a long, wide but fairly shallow ramp up to the cafe I’m thinking about, so that is a good thing as well).

I think I may need to speak to him, lay out how it could work, what any potential problems are regarding loos etc, and see what he says before booking anything.
Oct 2023
9:29am, 27 Oct 2023
12,395 posts
  •  
lammo
Great idea Big G, could you do a dry run on your own, just to go through how its going to work?
Oct 2023
9:30am, 27 Oct 2023
48,154 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
the last sentence is probably what should happen first
don't want you trying to work out every possible solution for him to say actually no
Oct 2023
9:31am, 27 Oct 2023
64,696 posts
  •  
LindsD
Can't add anything but sounds like it might be a positive thing to do with benefits for both of you
Oct 2023
9:33am, 27 Oct 2023
48,155 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I know my dad wouldn't go out even for a drive as he was so worried about the loo

but if you can make it work it will be a lovely thing good luck
Oct 2023
9:42am, 27 Oct 2023
2,859 posts
  •  
Mushroom
Another possibility - something to look into - is there a local organisation that hires out beach friendly wheelchairs?

I know there are a few places around the country. My MiL used one in her last few weeks on the beach at Filey. A local organisation delivered one for the day - just had to pay a small delivery charge.

Basically, they have larger wheels like a buggy, that make it easier to push along the sand. They look a bit like this:

Oct 2023
9:46am, 27 Oct 2023
48,156 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
that's a fab idea

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.