Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

6 lurkers | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
4:49pm, 27 Oct 2023
48,234 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
JDA - we have got a lot of my mum's services now with our names/numbers as contact details. So if the gas, electricity, telephone etc. want to check something, they call us not her. You can do all of that without a Power of Attorney - just as long as the person is there to approve that once, up front, thereafter, you can become the administrator of their account for them. Ping me an fmail if that doesn't make sense. :-) G
jda
Oct 2023
5:23pm, 27 Oct 2023
15,719 posts
  •  
jda
Hm...I wonder if that would work better...she is the one making the complaint, with her contact details front and centre and a note about the dementia...but then perhaps some engineer just picks up the account and uses the number.

Even the complaints person is losing all the info though, she's had to explain the dongle multiple times to them including just now again (it's nothing to do with BT, just what we decided was the simplest solution so he has some email over the past year, but they always forget and ask about it....).

It's probably about time we just redirected all his mail here too, he gets various financial things that he has no idea how to deal with and then shuffles into heaps of paper all over the house...

I believe the PoA may have finally worked for the bank account though which is a small step in the right direction.
Oct 2023
5:27pm, 27 Oct 2023
3,011 posts
  •  
Big_G
jda, I was going to suggest the same. I’m the first point of contact for all Dad’s services and bills. They’re all in his name and he pays them from his account, but I sort out any appointments and any queries come to me.
Nov 2023
12:14pm, 3 Nov 2023
25,843 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
FFS. The DN showed up today and didnt know about the keysafe. In trying to open the door, MiL has fallen and DN called out the Fire Brigade and Ambulance !

Mrs Axe is on her way around. Fire Brigade have got her up and into bed I think and good news is she hasnt hurt herself as far as I know.

This is pretty frustrating though and all very avoidable
jda
Nov 2023
12:21pm, 3 Nov 2023
15,782 posts
  •  
jda
Had the openreach engineer round today coincident with our visit (hooray) and he agrees with us that the most plausible explanation is that FiL’s account is getting switched off via some software/bug/cancellation issue. Which is the conclusion we had tentatively reached back in Feb or thereabouts, having already ruled out everything else at that point.

He’s on a legacy BT Basic account that he wouldn’t be eligible for today but was grandfathered into years ago and is still being charged for, so it’s not like they have cancelled him properly.

Anyway the broadband has been switched on for now and we will see if it lasts.
Nov 2023
5:13pm, 3 Nov 2023
6,728 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Glad MiL is ok Baz.

I hope it's sorted jda.
Nov 2023
11:47am, 8 Nov 2023
3,949 posts
  •  
decorum
Hugs to all. Try to remember to be kind to yourselves.

[Aged Parent remains and retains his self-centric self'ness 😉]
Nov 2023
12:11pm, 8 Nov 2023
18,432 posts
  •  
Sweetie
Hi all, been lurking here for a while but thankfully managed to get both my aged Ps into their mid-80s before feeling the need to post. However, a recent visit from them, has made me pretty convinced that my mum has Parkinson's (honestly, thinking back now I can't believe I didn't spot it sooner!).
So my question is whether any fetchies have experience of the benefit of Parkinson's treatment in the very elderly/frail? My parents are so overly anxious about my mum's health already that I am not convinced getting an upsetting diagnosis on top of an already long list of health issues is going to do either of them any good - unless the meds could make a difference to her quality of life?
Nov 2023
12:15pm, 8 Nov 2023
11,628 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
My aunt had parkinsons and the meds did help her quality of life a fair amount. This was years ago so not sure how treatments have moved on. She died of an unrelated cause before the Parkinson's was too advanced.
Nov 2023
12:18pm, 8 Nov 2023
48,374 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Realise this isn't any great help immediately Sweetie, and sorry for your mum's Parkinson's diagnosis, but did you see that fab French medical technical device added to a Parkinson's sufferer's spine which boosted brain and nerve signals allowing him to walk stably again, when he was regularly falling and unsafe in his working? Cool tech. Best wishes for treatments for your mum. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.