Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
10:00am, 27 Oct 2023
4,450 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Another small thing to consider Big_G: pushing an adult in a wheelchair can be quite hard work, don't underestimate how tiring that might be for you.
Oct 2023
10:05am, 27 Oct 2023
6,723 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Big G - I think in your situation I'd definitely be trying to facilitate his wishes whilst managing expectations and being realistic about what's possible. Could he/you afford to pay carers to accompany you?
Oct 2023
11:38am, 27 Oct 2023
3,007 posts
  •  
Big_G
Thanks everyone.

Mushroom, looks good. But I think for this first attempt I’d want as few variables as possible. For example, he needs to be in the chair when he leaves home, and looking at that, it may not get out the front door I suppose, so I’d want to get a measurement for the rear wheels first. We can’t transfer him to it out in ‘the wild’ easily (if at all)m but I’ll look into it for a potential future trip.

LMH, thanks, a carer is an idea that I’ll look in to as I’d not considered it. Yes, money is fine for a one off like this, and if it becomes more regular I can’t see it ever being more than, say, fortnightly.

lammo, I went and ‘recced’ it in a way yesterday. I’ve walked past the cafe/fish and chip place loads of times but hadn’t properly clocked the ramp until yesterday, for example. Funny what goes broadly unnoticed unless I’m looking for it, as I just use the steps up myself.

jabberknit, thanks. If I need it, the taxi service will actually drop him off inside the cafe, and pick him up from there too. I was going to see how he was on the day. But the walk I had planned is very flat, and a good surface. I’d not anticipate much longer than a 20min-30min easy stroll, with stops for him to check out the views. My partner will be there too, so I hope between us we’d be okay. But, yes, he’s a big man (although somewhat lighter than he used to be, primarily because he’s now only got one leg!).
Oct 2023
12:57pm, 27 Oct 2023
10,235 posts
  •  
Fields
Had a nice bit of haddock in that cafe

It’s licensed too if that’s important
Oct 2023
1:12pm, 27 Oct 2023
3,009 posts
  •  
Big_G
Fields, I’ve not drank alcohol for 6 years, but this planned trip may just drive me to it (joke!).
Oct 2023
1:19pm, 27 Oct 2023
10,236 posts
  •  
Fields
Ha fair enough!

Berry Head wouldn’t be a bad option for your dad, the cafe is very good, and they have disabled loos and all on one level. Think the paths are all wheelchair suitable, you probably know all that though
Oct 2023
1:29pm, 27 Oct 2023
3,010 posts
  •  
Big_G
Fields, yes, that cafe on Berry Head is very good. One of my faves. Funnily enough it was a consideration but cost wise it’s actually cheaper to get him to Paignton. The taxi firm are based in Torquay and the call out fee is cheaper if he is dropped off in Paignton, because as you know Paignton is closer to Torquay. The paths are very good though, as you say. Definitely a consideration and possibly one for a different outing if the first one goes okay. I know the owner vaguely and one of waitresses fairly well.
jda
Oct 2023
3:01pm, 27 Oct 2023
15,716 posts
  •  
jda
Oh joy.

BT were going to visit FiL today to have another go at the broken broadband. They phoned up to check he was in…and he told them his internet was working fine thank you very much, so they cancelled.

They’ve been repeatedly told he has dementia and doesn’t know what he is talking about, but that message never seems to get through to whoever makes the courtesy call. Plus, dementia or not, if someone appears to have capacity and says “don’t come, everything’s fine”, what choice do they have?

(He does have working internet, because we bought him a mobile phone dongle months ago as a stop-gap, and of course he now no longer understands or recalls that his broadband is not working.)

It’s not the first time he’s done this and cancelled my wife’s attempts to get it fixed.
Oct 2023
3:04pm, 27 Oct 2023
48,173 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
frustrating JDA
Oct 2023
3:06pm, 27 Oct 2023
64,699 posts
  •  
LindsD
So frustrating

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.