Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

4 lurkers | 140 watchers
Nov 2023
1:25pm, 8 Nov 2023
18,433 posts
  •  
Sweetie
Thanks LF, that's good to know. I am not sure there have been any significant advances in terms of medications for Parkinson's in a couple of decades so just a bit concerned about weighing up side effects vs efficacy. In a younger, fitter patient with good life expectancy it would be an absolute no brainer but she's 84 and a pretty frail 84.
I did see that Happy, the videos showing the difference in his walking were amazing, great that research is still making progress, especially for younger sufferers.
Nov 2023
2:10pm, 8 Nov 2023
30,365 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Parkinson’s meds seemed to slow the progression for dad, but he was in his 60s when he started with them.
It was infections (uti’s mainly) that seemed to speed up the Parkinson’s related lewy body dementia and the Parkinsons related swallowing issues that led to the pheumonia etc that finished him off
I don’t think the meds he was on helped with either of those, but understanding where extra vigilance might be needed could come from a diagnosis. Can you speak to the GP somehow?
Nov 2023
2:25pm, 8 Nov 2023
64,857 posts
  •  
LindsD
I'm impressed that they got themselves to Spain. My Mum can't get herself from Surrey to London
Nov 2023
2:38pm, 8 Nov 2023
18,437 posts
  •  
Sweetie
With hindsight the trip was perhaps a bit too much for them Linds! (and for me!!) it really brought home just how frail my mum has become, you don't notice it so much in their own home where they're comfortable / confident with everything. It makes me feel enormously guilty for having moved to Spain - although time wise I was no nearer them when I lived in Wales (5 hour drive or 2 hour plane)
Rosehip, you raise some valid issues and those are aspects I had not considered, I really appreciate you insight, thank you.
Nov 2023
2:44pm, 8 Nov 2023
64,858 posts
  •  
LindsD
I hear you.
Nov 2023
3:11pm, 8 Nov 2023
48,379 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Brought home to me at the weekend. Wee shopping trip for my mum to return a jumper and buy some winter PJs and dressing gown. I parked about 200 metres from the cafe and about same to the shop we were going to. Deliberately dropped my mum and wife at top of hill right beside cafe, then parked at bottom of hill in small car park. Took me 2 mins to walk up to cafe and shops. Took about 20 mins for me to get my mum back from the shops, flat, then downhill to car park. I had taken the wheel chair but didn't think she'd need it for such a short journey. She was whacked. Poor thing.
Nov 2023
4:20pm, 8 Nov 2023
6,738 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sweetie - are you sure it's Parkinsons and not dementia? Either way I think a diagnosis might be helpful.
Nov 2023
5:33pm, 8 Nov 2023
18,443 posts
  •  
Sweetie
LMH - not dementia, she's still pretty compos mentis but she has the characteristic slow shuffling gait (which I had previously just put down to her poor vision and fear of falling - she fell down the stairs last year and cracked a couple of ribs), increasingly slurred speech and resting tremor (which is what I noticed at her last visit which made the penny drop).
There are some good reasons for not pushing for a diagnosis - although that would take a long blog to explain - but Rosehip raised some good reasons why a diagnosis would be important beyond just drug therapy access, so I am definitely leaning towards encouraging her to see the GP.
Nov 2023
7:20pm, 8 Nov 2023
30,367 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Glad to be of help. Dad was unlucky as he had other degenerative issues that compounded the bstd Parkinson’s, but also did much better for 20 years than anyone ever expected.

Would you be able to maybe prime the GP about your concerns re a stated diagnosis?
Nov 2023
6:11am, 9 Nov 2023
6,739 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It was the shuffle that made me ask Sweetie. Glad to hear it's not that. As Rosehip said when it comes to accessing/paying for care etc a diagnosis is necessary.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.