Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

6 lurkers | 140 watchers
Nov 2023
5:17pm, 12 Nov 2023
48,678 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Oh dear that’s not good

At least she wasn’t hurt beyond pride and hopefully she will now listen

Can’t comment on BIL
jda
Nov 2023
5:21pm, 12 Nov 2023
15,865 posts
  •  
jda
Next time she goes into hospital Bazo you may be able to insist that they don't release her - they have a duty to consider her safety at home. That's basically what happened to my dad. He went straight into a care home at that point. Of course he wasn't so obstructive, and neither was my mother (who had been looking after him, but was no longer really capable of dealing with his falls). Your BiL is if course going to cause huge problems if he doesn't sort himself out.
Nov 2023
5:27pm, 12 Nov 2023
25,896 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We tried that 15 months ago and they sent her home anyway. We refused to do the taking home so they arranged transport.

I spoke to Mrs axe on the way home and I wonder if mil might now be receptive if we raise it.

That said only a week ago she spoke about getting out for a walk.

It must be so hard and frightening to find yourself in the situation she is in.
jda
Nov 2023
5:29pm, 12 Nov 2023
15,866 posts
  •  
jda
To be fair she's coped (mostly) for 15 months so maybe they were right back then, but presumably she is worse now?
Nov 2023
5:30pm, 12 Nov 2023
64,910 posts
  •  
LindsD
So sorry Baz. Sounds v hard.
Nov 2023
5:43pm, 12 Nov 2023
6,745 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to read this Baz. I think it's worth having the conversation and also if she does end up back in hospital insisting that your concerns are recorded. Try PALS if yoou don't feel listened to or ask that a safeguarding assessment is completed.
Nov 2023
6:43pm, 12 Nov 2023
72,171 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Next time she goes into hospital Bazo you may be able to insist that they don't release her - they have a duty to consider her safety at home. That's basically what happened to my dad. He went straight into a care home at that point. Of course he wasn't so obstructive, and neither was my mother (who had been looking after him, but was no longer really capable of dealing with his falls). Your BiL is if course going to cause huge problems if he doesn't sort himself out.

That's what happened with my dad too. He fell one time too many and although never hurt himself they took him in and he never returned to his house. Don't think he was the easiest of patients.
Nov 2023
6:53pm, 12 Nov 2023
25,897 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Was just serving tea and phone went. Carer has found mil on floor again. Falls team won’t go out as it’s the second call in a day. WTAF.

Quick eat and round we go.

BiL still to reply about agreement on fixing the leak we have to fix as well.
Nov 2023
6:57pm, 12 Nov 2023
48,681 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
What? That’s shocking
Nov 2023
7:21pm, 12 Nov 2023
11,681 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Time for an ambulance.

If you keep picking her up you may lift her with an injury and make her worse and you won't know why she's falling.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.