Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 140 watchers
Nov 2023
7:22pm, 12 Nov 2023
11,682 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
We just got to that point with mum but other people kept picking her up against our advice. Anyway she then went totally off her feet and the rest is history.
Nov 2023
7:24pm, 12 Nov 2023
25,898 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Must have been a breakdown in comms. When we got here the falls people and carer were here and she was safely back in bed with no harm done.
Nov 2023
7:25pm, 12 Nov 2023
11,684 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
That's good news
Nov 2023
7:33pm, 12 Nov 2023
48,684 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Phew
Nov 2023
7:48pm, 12 Nov 2023
35,978 posts
  •  
Ness
Glad she's OK.
Nov 2023
8:38pm, 12 Nov 2023
10,341 posts
  •  
Fields
Bazo - this happened to my Nain too, refused to leave her home (250 miles from both her kids and housebound, a recluse and reliant on the kids driving up once a month to shop for her), ex nurse so would not be told she couldn’t cope.

eventually one too many falls and she was in hospital and off to a home (5 miles from her kids) she went, she was not the same after that final fall as it seemed to knock her memory etc too.

Had what seemed to me a terrible quality of life for the last decade, but it was her choice I suppose, and one she had originally made when of sound mind etc
Nov 2023
9:30pm, 12 Nov 2023
64,912 posts
  •  
LindsD
Glad it's OK but the situation seems unsustainable.
Nov 2023
9:37pm, 12 Nov 2023
1,785 posts
  •  
Hibeedeb
That sounds tough Bazo.

I’m really relieved my parents have proactively moved into a retirement residence. They seem to have settled in ok - they’ve been there about a month now - but sadly two long term friends they have known for years and live in the same place have died in the last week, and another is in hospital after breaking their hip and they having. stroke while in hospital.

They are at least somewhere safe, and where they can get more support if they need it.
Nov 2023
6:37pm, 13 Nov 2023
28,143 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
The woman currently in the bed next to mum in hospital is Very Chatty & Loud. I'm sure it's good entertainment some of the time but I wish she would Shut Up while I'm visiting, that's my time with my mum (I don't interrupt her when her mum is visiting), and I can't hear myself think.
Thank you for listening.
Nov 2023
8:02pm, 13 Nov 2023
64,927 posts
  •  
LindsD
Was wondering how your Mum is doing. Can you draw the curtains?

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.