Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
10:14am, 24 Oct 2023
64,660 posts
  •  
LindsD
Fair enough LMH
CK2
Oct 2023
1:21pm, 24 Oct 2023
2,345 posts
  •  
CK2
Mum and I did it with a friend of hers for moral support . It wasn’t stress free but I’d echo what others have said.
Oct 2023
3:10pm, 24 Oct 2023
6,716 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I've offered to help but I'm not going to offer to do it.
jda
Oct 2023
9:46am, 26 Oct 2023
15,710 posts
  •  
jda
Amusing but frustrating story with FiL....while we were away he had a doctor appointment in the local village, the carers had helped him to arrange this for a day they would be visiting so they could take him there, which seemed extremely helpful and efficient of them. Then the day before the appointment, he phones up the carers and cancels their visit because he will be busy...with the appointment!

So then he trudges down the village - it's a struggle for him now, he had given up this walk a while before he lost his car - and arrives so knackered and dishevelled the doctor is all worried he's not being properly cared for, and phones up my wife (just after we return from USA).

A bit of a lack of joined up thinking from the carers, but understandable that the person answering the phone might not have twigged what was going on sufficiently quickly to talk him round. Which also comes back in part to the question of capacity. It's a shame he has the capacity to interfere so effectively in things that are being done for his convenience!
Oct 2023
10:34am, 26 Oct 2023
6,722 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I doubt the person answering the phone would have known anything other than that the carers were due to visit jda. Strange that he remembered the appointment and not that they were going to take him.
jda
Oct 2023
10:53am, 26 Oct 2023
15,711 posts
  •  
jda
Written on his calendar, which he is quite good at following for the most part. But just the appointment and unfortunately not the fact that they were taking him!

Yes I don’t blame whoever took his call, put it down to accident. And no harm done. It does help explain the doctors specific concern at that point.
Oct 2023
5:40pm, 26 Oct 2023
64,689 posts
  •  
LindsD
How frustrating
Oct 2023
8:55am, 27 Oct 2023
3,005 posts
  •  
Big_G
Looking for some advice I think. I’m using place names, but appreciate they may not mean much to many :)

Dad has been more or less bed-bound since May 2022. Recently, the carers have been getting him out for a couple of hours a day into the living room in his wheelchair, but apart from that and a small number of appointments, he’s bed bound.

He lives in Brixham, and has expressed an interest that he wants to go to Dartmoor (1hr drive) and Cornwall (1+ hours, could be more) “one last time”. I think this is way too far as he’s been sick in the ambulance to/from hospital visits, but in fairness they tend to be very long days for him.

However, I’ve found a wheelchair taxi firm, and I think a trip to Paignton Pier for fish and chips could work. Pick up at 11am, 30min drive to Paignton, walk up and down the seafront to the harbour in his wheelchair, fish and chips at the cafe on the pier for 12, and the firm need to get him back for 1:45 at the latest due to contracts they have, so pick him up to return at 1pm. So he’d be out for about 2.5hrs. I know this isn’t much but I want to start small and see how it goes.

I need to liaise with the carers to make sure he’s in his chair ready to go that day. But the taxi service gets him in/out the house, and in/out the van, which is the main thing I worry about as I can’t do it myself. He remains in the wheelchair all the time, which is good as he hates using a hoist.

His partner has concerns this is all going to be a disaster (I think it could be too!) but I think I should try at least once. I haven’t mentioned this to him yet, but as I say I think Dartmoor/Cornwall is too far, but a trip to Paignton on the face of it seems manageable.

Anyone done similar? Anything else I need to consider?
CK2
Oct 2023
9:03am, 27 Oct 2023
2,357 posts
  •  
CK2
I’ve no experience bar hospital visits with a wheelchair but that sounds like a good solution that you’ve put a lot of work into planning. My only suggestion is a back up plan should he tire or get sick during the outing.
Oct 2023
9:04am, 27 Oct 2023
48,153 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
bathroom breaks?
sounds like it could work and that's lovely that you are thinking of a solution

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.