Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

6 lurkers | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
4:47pm, 20 Oct 2023
2,197 posts
  •  
poppyH
*decision specific
Oct 2023
4:53pm, 20 Oct 2023
25,770 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Lol, i thought i was being stupid and was going to have to google what you meant
Oct 2023
4:56pm, 20 Oct 2023
2,198 posts
  •  
poppyH
Nah. My fat fingers šŸ˜„
Oct 2023
7:40pm, 20 Oct 2023
47,984 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Spoken to mum
She was given a cancellation appointment to see the heart consultant who wants to (she started muttering at this point and facing the other way making it really hard to hear) have a 48 hr heart monitor and I thought she said do some more tests but later in the conversation she denied this

She also couldnā€™t say when the 48 hr monitor would be or indeed anything else

Her friend has just had heart surgery (apparently she didnā€™t know what) and I think thatā€™s shaken her a bit

She was visibly a lot more breathless today but changed the subject when I mentioned it

I said I would come down if she wanted etc and was told no need

Hopefully the consultant will give her some answers even if I donā€™t get to hear them.
Oct 2023
9:08pm, 20 Oct 2023
319 posts
  •  
kaysdee
OH was placed into emergency respite on Tuesday in what felt like completely out of the blue. Well, it was out of the blueā€¦ I got a call near to close of play on Monday from a safeguarding team and he was in respite by Tuesday afternoon (electrical item + water was the straw that broke the camelā€™s back, added to him not coping functionally on his own while weā€™re all out and having a woeful care package).

Social services came out on the Tuesday morning to do a capacity assessment and to gain his consent to going, as nothing would have happened if heā€™d said no. She deemed him as lacking capacity due to one out of four criteria. It has been a really hard week and naturally heā€™s struggling with being there, even more confused currently. Major mood swings every time I talk to him, which is understandable.

It didnā€™t help that I was the one who had to tell him what was going to happen (he does still have awareness of his dementia and the general situation and I felt it was completely unfair on him to spring it on him the next morning if Iā€™d said nothing). Iā€™d also been distracted dealing with our eldest son who is disabled and had to take him to hospital literally the moment I got back from work around 6pm. S19ā€™s carer was able to relieve me for a bit while I talked to OH (this hospital is only a 5 minute walk from home) but then I had to leave OH again.

I got back with S19 just before midnight and I then had to have the same conversation with our youngest two as they needed to know their dad wouldnā€™t be there the next day when they got back from college/uni and had to say goodbye the next morning. It was horrendous. Despite them both saying they were fine (relieved) with the thought of the idea of extra housing when it was raised a few weeks ago, it obviously wasnā€™t a ā€œrealā€ concept, and they were much more affected than they anticipated.

Because our lives have had to just go on, with their education and me going to work, there has been no time to really process anything. Iā€™ve been told there will be a planning meeting in early November to see how things are going and to work out a plan for future care/living arrangements.

As I was leaving for work on Wednesday, I overheard S19 say to his carer ā€œmy dad is gone, I miss himā€ ā˜¹ļø

Dementia is cruel beyond belief.
Oct 2023
9:23pm, 20 Oct 2023
47,987 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Omg I am so sorry that must be so hard

Rant here as much as you need xx
Oct 2023
9:26pm, 20 Oct 2023
71,794 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh what a lot to deal with at once :-( . Do remember to breathe xx
3M
Oct 2023
9:45pm, 20 Oct 2023
22,388 posts
  •  
3M
So sorry to read all that, Kaysdee. It sounds really hard, and very cruel for you to have to be the "grown up" in the situation. I hope the situation improves for all of you.
Oct 2023
9:51pm, 20 Oct 2023
2,199 posts
  •  
poppyH
Oh kaysdee. It's a bastard disease.
Oct 2023
10:12pm, 20 Oct 2023
17,535 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Oh Kaysdee so much for you all xxx

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.