Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
Sep 2023
11:12am, 18 Sep 2023
5,696 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Twats indeed.
Sep 2023
12:07pm, 18 Sep 2023
6,655 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
There's nothing like making things easier for people.
Sep 2023
12:10pm, 18 Sep 2023
1,614 posts
  •  
Hibeedeb
So sorry to hear about the loss of your dad Runningbauble21, and the stuff you are going through with your mum. Can’t be easy.

My parents seem to be settling into their retirement residence flat, which is great news. I was worried they would regret their decision as soon as they got there.
Sep 2023
12:17pm, 18 Sep 2023
7,019 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
My parents moved into a retirement village flat 22 years ago and it's really worked well for them. Having their own space but also a community right on the doorstep. It's particularly been a godsend since my dad died last year. Mum can be on her own if she wishes, but has friends on hand and regularly goes over to the social centre coffee bar. She's 99 now and plenty of people in the village keep an eye out for her.
CK2
Sep 2023
12:38pm, 18 Sep 2023
2,267 posts
  •  
CK2
That’s very poor Ida. My mum is still dealing with the bank’s incompetence. Last week they asked her for my dad’s ISA details that they have on file but have mislaid, and insisted she called them about a payment to my dad’s account which wouldn’t go through - not surprisingly as it was closed after he died last year. We watched Bank of Dave at the weekend and it really highlighted that banks caring about their customers is a total myth!
CK2
Sep 2023
12:38pm, 18 Sep 2023
2,268 posts
  •  
CK2
*jda (bloody autocorrect!)
Sep 2023
12:55pm, 18 Sep 2023
6,657 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That's good news Hibeedeb.

Sorry that your mum has to deal with that CK2.

I think it's that flexibility that makes them such a good option TR.
Sep 2023
1:17pm, 18 Sep 2023
81,448 posts
  •  
Diogenes
When I had to LPA for my mum, the only people I had trouble with was the Post Office. Getting them to close her account proved impossible. In the end I just withdrew all her moment and put it in her Nationwide account. After a while they closed it for her because it had been inactive and empty for so long.
Sep 2023
12:53pm, 19 Sep 2023
47,775 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Just waiting for mum coming out of 2hr + PET scan with radioactive dye. Clever this technical stuff, innit? :-) G
Sep 2023
2:54pm, 19 Sep 2023
6,663 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I hope it's good news Happy.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.