Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
Sep 2023
6:47am, 11 Sep 2023
63,818 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hope they settle well. My Mum lives in a development like that and it suits her
Sep 2023
11:24am, 11 Sep 2023
1,593 posts
  •  
Hibeedeb
Thanks LindsD. I think they will once they get used to communal meals. They are moving into a two bedroom flat there, and they have a number of friends in the same place. They are looking forward to not having to cook, clean, do gardening or shovel snow.
Sep 2023
10:09pm, 11 Sep 2023
16,531 posts
  •  
Badger
When my parents wrote their LPoA forms, I think they had a lawyer's advice and went with jointly and severally. Probably just as well as my sister in Hong Kong shows no sign of moving back until she runs out of money there. Fortunately where we've needed to agree collectively on anything (some of the details of our mother's will) email has been good enough.
Sep 2023
10:04am, 12 Sep 2023
47,728 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah think my step mum's is joint and several with 3 of us. Which seems sensible. Don't know what would happen if we didn't agree though?
Sep 2023
10:08am, 12 Sep 2023
46,714 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Mr Pix has just signed the POA for his mum and dad joint with his brother and sister
we only have 1 son so that makes it simple!
Sep 2023
10:08am, 12 Sep 2023
46,715 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
not that I have actually done the forms yet - they are printed mind
Sep 2023
10:50am, 12 Sep 2023
71,217 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
We were always going in with the three of us ( two of us don’t speak to the other brother ) and as long as two agreed it would happen. Sadly we never got to that as dad never signed it. At the moment we seem to be agreeing with everything that is happening to his estate so that’s helpful and my eldest brother I don’t know if he has been in touch and is leaving everything for us three to do which suits us fine.
jda
Sep 2023
10:55am, 12 Sep 2023
15,444 posts
  •  
jda
If "jointly and severally" attorneys don't agree then one person could undermine/contradict the other and it might be a mess but at least people would be able to do things. Eg you might sell your parent's car but another sibling might buy them a new one :-)

If just appointed "jointly" then you also have to carefully consider the case of replacement attorneys as otherwise the incapacity of a single attorney instantly renders the whole thing null and void (attorneys can't act jointly if one of them is dead). It's really a very poor choice unless circumstances are exceptional.
Sep 2023
12:15pm, 12 Sep 2023
29,072 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Just to say jointly and severally has been useful for us in having both elder children able to represent and share the burden. It would be too much for any one of us
Sep 2023
8:00pm, 12 Sep 2023
3,947 posts
  •  
decorum
Psychic hugs to all.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.