Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
Sep 2023
9:00pm, 17 Sep 2023
61 posts
  •  
Runningbear21
Thanks, mum is now the sole "owner" of the house but they did one of those equity release things and I'm yet to find the paperwork for that but I can't see any payments going out of the bank account for it so I don't know how much would be left if it was sold, probably not enough to pay for care. Access to all the info needed to sort the finances is going to be the hardest part and I'm scared how little money might be coming in once dad's pensions stop, not sure if they have spouse clauses and mum only has a state pension 😳
Sep 2023
9:02pm, 17 Sep 2023
63,925 posts
  •  
LindsD
Lots of us have been through various complications after the death of a loved one so please do shout here for help and support if you feel able to.
Sep 2023
9:05pm, 17 Sep 2023
62 posts
  •  
Runningbear21
Thanks LindsD I think we're going to need all the help we can get!
CK2
Sep 2023
9:06pm, 17 Sep 2023
2,266 posts
  •  
CK2
There are some useful links on the right hand side of this thread that may help with the financial stuff. It would definitely be advisable to get support with this.
jda
Sep 2023
9:08pm, 17 Sep 2023
15,456 posts
  •  
jda
Most personal/occupational pensions will have surviving spouse clauses, I'd have thought. But yeah you may have an unwelcome maze of paperwork to deal with when you've got practical things to think about too. Oh, and emotional things also!
Sep 2023
10:09pm, 17 Sep 2023
5,695 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Unfortunately if there is capital and/or assets worth more than £23,250, you have to pay for care until the threshold is reached. So assuming the equity release was only part of the value then the rest can be used to pay for care. Any pensions that still get paid continue to be paid as does winter cold payments, and you can get attendance allowance, although new claimants usually have to wait 6 months unless they have life shortening conditions.
Sep 2023
5:56am, 18 Sep 2023
6,652 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry for your loss Running bear. It sounds as though you have an awful lot to deal with. There wouldn't be any payments going out re the equity release as that doesn't come in to effect until the house is sold or the person moves into a care home. I hope your siblings can help to shoulder the burden when they arrive.
Sep 2023
6:11am, 18 Sep 2023
25,619 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I am so sorry to hear that running bear. It does sound like a very difficult situation. I hope you can find a solution
jda
Sep 2023
10:14am, 18 Sep 2023
15,462 posts
  •  
jda
Having gone through the new on-line system to register her father's PoA with his bank, they now tell my wife (via snail-mail of course) that they need her to visit his bank branch with a certificated copy of the physical PoA. Which she doesn't have (it'll be somewhere in her father's mountain of increasingly disordered paperwork). Plus all her own ID that she's already sent them copies of.

She can tell by looking at the on-line system that they haven't even bothered to check the code.

Twats.
Sep 2023
10:15am, 18 Sep 2023
63,942 posts
  •  
LindsD
Twats indeed

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.